WheelHorseNut

NAPA Belden Wire 701001 Solid Core?

WheelHorseNut

Anyone have experience with this NAPA coil wire:

Belden 12" 7mm Coil Wire

I may buy one to cut her open and see if it's solid core.  No one at NAPA can tell me -- the store, their customer service, ASE certified mechanics on their chat -- no one.

It came up when I did a search for a Volkswagen Beetle coil wire.  It's 7mm... Generic usage -- no applications listed and no one at NAPA really knows much about it.... 

Anyone ever use this?

953 nut

:confusion-confused:       I didn't see the word COPPER anywhere in NAPA's write-up about their wires so I don't think they are copper.      :confusion-shrug:

Virtually all automotive high voltage ignition wires are resistor wires to prevent radio interference. In my opinion it should work fine for a :wh:.

NAPA Belden Edge Premium Spark Plug Wires come ready for installation straight out of the box. Each set carries our history of engineering leadership and innovation. Our NAPA Belden Edge line is built to save you and your customers time and money with our EZ-Fit design and “Wired for Life” guarantee.

• Save time and have peace of mind knowing that the easy-to-install NAPA Belden Edge line meets and quite often exceeds OE requirements. We design, engineer, manufacture and test every set to ensure you are getting the most advanced, reliable product possible.
  • When subjected to engine heat, inferior wires melt and corrode. NAPA Belden Edge stops melting and corrosion before it starts. To do this, we changed the way our wires are made. It takes high voltage to power a vehicle. Our wires are engineered to offer low resistance and high inductance. This means higher voltage and more power that’s transferred faster and with more strength, resulting in improved power, efficiency and performance.
  • Formula 46 is a specially developed wire casing offering superior heat protection. This patented protective coating uses a durable silicone base and chemical compound that is permanently bonded through grafting to create an impenetrable shield scientifically designed for strength to battle extreme heat and cold. On the inside our unique inner core offers ultra-low resistance and higher voltage. This maximizes the flow of energy from ignition to the spark plug for smoother starts, better performance and more power.
  • Superior material and boot construction means NAPA Belden Edge will match or quite often exceed the original specifications for fit, form and function. Our engineers took it one step further with an improved seal that keeps moisture out and energy in, and flowing.
  • Our innovative Edge design includes factory installed wire clips, trays and protective loom to keep spark plug wires properly sorted, spaced and positioned, preventing melted casings and wire arcing. These enhancements are at the heart of our time-saving EZ-Fit design for a quick and perfect installation every time. NAPA Belden Edge delivers more to your customers and to your bottom line

WheelHorseNut
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:       I didn't see the word COPPER anywhere in NAPA's write-up about their wires so I don't think they are copper.      :confusion-shrug:

Virtually all automotive high voltage ignition wires are resistor wires to prevent radio interference. In my opinion it should work fine for a :wh:.

NAPA Belden Edge Premium Spark Plug Wires come ready for installation straight out of the box. Each set carries our history of engineering leadership and innovation. Our NAPA Belden Edge line is built to save you and your customers time and money with our EZ-Fit design and “Wired for Life” guarantee.

• Save time and have peace of mind knowing that the easy-to-install NAPA Belden Edge line meets and quite often exceeds OE requirements. We design, engineer, manufacture and test every set to ensure you are getting the most advanced, reliable product possible.
  • When subjected to engine heat, inferior wires melt and corrode. NAPA Belden Edge stops melting and corrosion before it starts. To do this, we changed the way our wires are made. It takes high voltage to power a vehicle. Our wires are engineered to offer low resistance and high inductance. This means higher voltage and more power that’s transferred faster and with more strength, resulting in improved power, efficiency and performance.
  • Formula 46 is a specially developed wire casing offering superior heat protection. This patented protective coating uses a durable silicone base and chemical compound that is permanently bonded through grafting to create an impenetrable shield scientifically designed for strength to battle extreme heat and cold. On the inside our unique inner core offers ultra-low resistance and higher voltage. This maximizes the flow of energy from ignition to the spark plug for smoother starts, better performance and more power.
  • Superior material and boot construction means NAPA Belden Edge will match or quite often exceed the original specifications for fit, form and function. Our engineers took it one step further with an improved seal that keeps moisture out and energy in, and flowing.
  • Our innovative Edge design includes factory installed wire clips, trays and protective loom to keep spark plug wires properly sorted, spaced and positioned, preventing melted casings and wire arcing. These enhancements are at the heart of our time-saving EZ-Fit design for a quick and perfect installation every time. NAPA Belden Edge delivers more to your customers and to your bottom line

Yeah, I bet you're right.

I read an article once on ignitions and proper wire usage From what I remember, the reason you'd want a solid core wire on these old low output points style ignitions (non-electronic) is to get maximum spark.  From what I understand, solid core is for non-electronic ignitions like our low output points (non-electronic) ignitions, carbon suppression is good for rudimentary electronic ignition and spiral wound are good for higher performance ignition systems.  I read that using non-solid core wires on these old points ignitions could actually produce a weaker spark due to the resistance in the wire.  And, of course, you don't want to use solid core on any electronic ignitions as it'll likely end up fried at some point.  So, while the non solid core wires would likely work, they wouldn't be optimal.  Maybe I'll grab my meter and test the resistance on the OEM wire and that 701001 wire.

Any thoughts?

Edited by WheelHorseNut
added the word 'ignitions'
  • Like 1

ri702bill

I am not sure of thr part number, but I have been using  NAPA replacenent coil wires to fit a 6 cylinder Ford Econoline for years on 2 8HP tractors. Nice fit, no issues. Carbon filled "string" innards, 7 mm OD.

• Like 2

Achto
10 hours ago, WheelHorseNut said:

It's 7mm... Generic usage -- no applications listed and no one at NAPA really knows much about it.

I have multiple tractors so I bought one of these kits.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-spark-plug-wire-set-sws260

They are copper core & I had enough to do 7 tractors. 

• Like 3

WheelHorseNut
2 hours ago, Achto said:

I have multiple tractors so I bought one of these kits.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-spark-plug-wire-set-sws260

They are copper core & I had enough to do 7 tractors. 

That's definitely reasonable!  $5 a tractor -- not bad!  I have 3, so I'll need 4 more tractors... :D

• Haha 2

squonk

The Belden 701001 wire is a std. Non metallic core supression ignition cable. The fact that I could tell you that after being gone from working at a NAPA store for 19 years and the guy who work there now couldn't is ridiculous.

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut
40 minutes ago, squonk said:

The Belden 701001 wire is a std. Non metallic core supression ignition cable. The fact that I could tell you that after being gone from working at a NAPA store for 19 years and the guy who work there now couldn't is ridiculous.

Haha!  Thank you very much.  I was going to go buy one and check it out under the boot to see what was crimped there.  Yeah, he couldn't -- he told me to call the customer support, which I decided to chat on my phone while making dinner -- they told me to go to the store. hahaha

As an aside -- thanks for your list of NAPA part numbers of wire components to make my own that you posted elsewhere -- very helpful and I decided to buy those.

Edited by WheelHorseNut
Praise for Squonk