MrEff87

Revving Kohler magnum 14 (M14S)?

MrEff87

This is probably going to become lengthy.  So I have an early 90’s Wheel Horse 314H.  It has the Kohler Magnum 14 motor, M14S on the sticker.  I have 2 problems I’d like to address before winter.

1. The engine rev’s at about half throttle and by rev I mean rev…it doesn’t randomly rev it’s only at half throttle and it sounds dangerous as it will just continue to increase in rpm’s.  I’ve glanced at the forums, some say governor some say carb adjustment.  I messed with the carb adjustment and that didn’t help as it took me 2 hours to get it back to functional.  (Kept stalling). Also I read there were 2 different carbs for that engine and the screws were flipped depending on which carb it is,  can’t find any identifying markings on the carb.  I need thoughts and suggestions on how to fix this.  The governor videos I look up never have a M14 and always looks very different but it may just be me.

2.  The forward and reverse lever has 2 issues.  1 it does not stay engaged, and two when I’m at a dead stop it likes to slip into reverse ever so slightly, which as you could imagine when the E-brake is on the rear axle begins to whine…thoughts?

Thanks for baring w/ me I’m new to fixing these tractors but not knew to using them as the 314H is what I grew up using…brother still has that very one.

pfrederi

this manual will help you id your carb an set the governor

Click on the pic to get it

• Like 1

Jon Paulsen

Revving issue sounds to me like you might have a leak on the intake side. When it starts to rev up, spray some WD-40 along the seams of things between the carb and the engine. The WD should kind of fill the gaps and slow down the air leak for a few moments. So, you should hear the RPMs decrease when you wet the spot that has the leak. Just a little spray around where it might leak, like the gaskets/neck or manifold between the carby and the engine block. You might be surprised how effective this method of troubleshooting really is.

Speaking of troubleshooting, I suggest you keep up with what you just started... a thread dedicated to your issue. Many experienced people on here willing to help a fella out. I'm not experienced with Kohler engines. Those who are experienced with the engines will likely chime in soon and give you great advice. 

Suggest you find a way of stopping the ignition (spark) really fast while it has crazy rev up issue. Hopefully not as bad/dangerous as it sounds, but you can't be too careful when working with machinery. Note if it begins "dieseling" on you, cutting the spark might not stop it. If it gets that out of hand, you might be in for a new engine.  

If you are not getting a response in a day or two, be sure and bump your thread up, like scream "Help!" :lol:

I suggest we get #1 fixed before we even worry about #2. Start a new thread about #2 after we get this idle issue under control. 

kpinnc

Slop between the governor arm and throttle on the carb can add to how quick the governor response is. Always a good idea to add a spring between the two to eliminate it.

The holes are already there. Any light spring will work, and it won't negatively affect anything.

IMG_20211130_215709840.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

MrEff87

Thanks for the words of wisdom, all.  I’ll update Saturday when I have a chance to work on it again!!

MrEff87

Sorry for the delay.  Thanks guys! I did the governor adjustment and the surging stopped.  Now I just need to figure out why it runs at max RPM’s “or higher” at half throttle, but that’s a problem for another day.

Gasaholic

If it is exceeding 3600 RPM, you still have a governor problem - Binding linkage, mis-adjusted stops (RPM limiter stop on the throttle linkage bellcrank) to name a couple things I think of immediately. Could also be seeing a loose throttle lever to shaft connection or throttle plate screws coming loose (have to pop carb off and check if there's any screws missing on throttle plate - chances are good if there's any missing, you'll find the little screw embedded in the piston or head)  

RED-Z06

My 312 would run away with little to no governor response...it ended up being a thrown weight on the internal governor gear