Sign in to follow this  
Juggler

Do you actually mow with a Lawn Ranger?

Juggler

Lately I've been thinking of using a Lawn Ranger to mow the lawn. I have about 3/4 of an acre to mow, a hodge-podge of different grasses, KBG, Fescue... whatever. I do need to mow a ditch length-wise though. So are they tippy side to side with the mower deck attached? Do they do a good job cutting?

Thanks...

on edit: I currently have no Lawn Ranger mowing deck, and wonder if it would be "doable" to actually use one, and expect a good job.

Ted Wendel

If I remember correctly they do fine,it just took about 2 1/2 times as long to do it as my 414-8 with a 48 inch deck.

pfrederi

My L107 spent her first 20+ years mowing 1.5 acres. Then a short break and then 7 years mowing a quarter acre suburban lot. First year out here in the country she went back to mowing three acres but that was taking too long so the WH fleet started to grow.

She has smaller wheels than regular WHs so she rides rougher on rough ground...but small wheels reduce height and if anything should be less prone to tipping.

The 32inch deck is a rear discharge and tend to leave two furrows of grass clippings if the grass is tall. Also the smaller size makes for longer time mowing but can trim tight areas better. The lower height makes it less likely to whack your head on tree branches.

There is no tach matic so deck installation is more work...you just leave it on. After years of mowing rough lawns you will have wear in the deck hangers.

Lawn Ranger kid

I mow somtimes with mine and if the blades are some what sharp it does a very nice job. Josh

Rollerman

I used mine pretty frequently last few season for my small town sized yard.

With only a 32" deck your not going to cover a lot of ground quickly....but there great for the smaller places.

A couple pluses for the Lawn Rangers....very light steering since there so light, I'd say they would be a good ditch bank mower if it wern't for the splash lube engine, you don't have to throw your leg awkwardley over the seat to get on & off....you just stand up & walk away. :thumbs2:

lt230s

My uncle mowed 1-1/2 acre with the LR when he bought it new. Took awhile but did a nice job. I used it once it got passed down to mow our 2 plus acres. If you're not in a hurry they mow nice and like others said, you can trim close to trees. If you have a pull behind sweeper, hook it up while mowing & the rear discharge puts the grass/leaves in the right spot. :thumbs2:

wfopete

LOL :thumbs2: My LR is my only riding lawn mower. Last weekend I mowed along my roadside. About 1-4 widths of the deck depending on the culverts and ditch bank. It took about four passes at times to knock down the 3-4 ft tall Johnson grass in some areas! Can you say country?

Total Length of the roadside? 1.5 miles!

I've mowed fields full of 5ft+ briers and I have not replaced the blades...yet. She's a tough old horse fer sure.

I think they call it the Forest Gump syndrome but whatever; it's great therapy for me!

bustedglass

I had a LR for about 15 years. Cut about 1 acre for all of those years without any problems. Like the others said, it just took awhile.

Buy hey, how beter to pass your time but to be riding a Horse. No matter how small the horse :thumbs2: .

Michael Bullington

I love my lawnrangers, but I sure aint using them to mow with.. :thumbs2: