Sign in to follow this  
mike_1951

76 B60

mike_1951

Hey guys just picked up a 1976 B 60.how would I find out about the production quanty? I under stand all of these tractors had a 8sp trans unlike the B 80s which had a 4 sp. and that they were no to pouplar .I have only seen a couple of these,no electrial to worry about,just points and coil.The K141 6hp runs nice no smoke or knocks.tractor need a little TLC but fairly good shape.picked it up for 110.00plus 10.00 for a extra lg kohler recoil which it needed. :thumbs2:

Mike

Kelly

I've got a beat up B-60, yes it's a 8 speed, but I also have 2 B-80's one is a 4 speed the other a 8 speed, not sure how many B-60's there were made, I'd bet not a ton, as for the pull start only, in a time of easy living.

bell

I don't have an answer for your question, but I do have a little bit of history on the fate of quite a few B-60's...

A friend of mine was a Wheel Horse dealer "back in the day".... He said that his dealership bought a bunch of B-60's at a very low price. They put them on the floor, but didn't sell well.... He said that several of them were converted, by the dealership, to B-80's... B-100's.... C-160's... etc.... etc...

I just thought that was a interesting bit of history.

W9JAB

Frank Bethge invented the Garden-All tractor at his Central Motor Company at 110 West Union Street in Liberty, Union County, Indiana.

Production began July 4, 1945 with 10 men employed. Twenty-five to thirty-five tractors were being made weekly and it was indicated that soon the quantities would reach 75 to 100 units per week. By spring of 1947 the goal was they would be producing 600 units weekly. At that period in time two size of tractors were built, a 13/4 horse power and a 3 horse power. The Clinton, Wisconsin and Briggs engines were being used.

Soon after the start of the manufacturing of the tractor, Glenn Heilman and D. S. Weaver took over the ownership and management of the Garden-All Company. One photograph available showed Paul Dixon, J. Hugh Smith and Zack Turner finishing the assembly of a four wheel riding tractor. Hugh Morgan, at one time collector of Garden-All products, worked for the Company for a short time in 1949.

By 1947 production had increased to the point expansion was necessary and

land was purchased on West Union to West Seminary Street in Liberty.

In 1949 Garden-All had four models and sickle bars of 30 - 32 and 36 inch cut. The

jusjeepn

W9JAB, Nice read but what does this have to do with the price of eggs? :ychain::thumbs2: :thumbs:

Rollerman

Mike I don't think there are to many still around, but I wouldn't think of them as rare.

Kinda an unusual combo of parts with the B-60.

I've seen several with repowers still working & know of some that are pullers.

W9JAB

:thumbs: W9JAB, Nice read but what does this have to do with the price of eggs?

Some time I just get happy fingers! :thumbs2:

rwilson

That was a nice pice of history. I enjoy reading things like that.

Coadster32

It was a nice read. Thanks Mr. Happy Fingers. My freind has a very well kept B-60 with the 8 speed tranny. All original, and really nice.

OneHorse

Welp,  You can add me to the list of Happy B-60 owners.  Had mine for over a year now.  I think most would have had the K-161-T.

Mine was re-powered w/ a '92 K-181-T.

I've seen 4 on the youtube, and one is a member here ( I think ) and I wanna buy his back wheels and tires.