Sign in to follow this  
WH953

953 head lights

WH953

I am a new member, but not a new Wheel Horse owner. I bought my 953, used, about 20 years ago. I didn't start using it, until this spring. Once I got the carb cleaned out, it ran pretty good. I really don't know much about Wheel Horse tractors, so I have a lot to learn. My tractor doesn't have any head light lenses. Are replacements available? Also is there supposed to be some kind of draw bar for the rear, or are "things" just attached to the lift arm? I haven't been able to find any other 953 tractors to look at and see what they look like. Maybe someone has some pictures or can tell me where to look on this forum for photos already posted.

Lane Ranger

Check out Glen Jeri on the Red Square website under VENDORS at:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showforum=80

He makes several great replacement parts- and you can't find them any where else!

Juggler

I've ordered from Glen before, and I can attest to his good quality and name. Good person to deal with! :thumbs2:

WH953

I looked at Glen's site. Looks like he has the right parts.

What actually holds the lens in place?? I don't know if I'm missing more than just the lens.

GlenPettit

What holds the 953 Lens in place?

For the first 8 months in 1963 Wheel Horse used a plastic bezel (clear plastic, sprayed gold on the inside, then a layer of silver paint over that for reflection, but looking gold from the outside) and held to the metal bracket by three screws each. The plastic bezel had a small lip on the inside near the edge, the flat clear 953 lens snapped into this lip (but, in cold weather plastic was brittle and cracked, lenses fell out and the screws stripped the plastic = very few left. In September, 1963 Wheel Horse changed the lights to a 'pot metal' cast bezel and a cupped lens, (like on the 1054's) these lenses are held in with a large o-ring and is a very good and strong system. Most damaged 953's were updated to this "1054 Lens/bezel".

WH953

Thanks, to all of you, for the information. I'll check and see what application my 953 needs.

Thanks again, BILL

N.C. horserider

:thumbs2: Bill you came to the right place for any questions you have.

Juggler

Here's a pic of a recent acquisition of mine, a 1054. I'll take several photo's of a project tractor beforehand to help later in reassembly. This is the backside of my headlights. Hope this helps. (You may have to lighten up the pic.)

th_1stday1054024.jpg

click to enlarge

WH953

Thanks, Juggler, for posting the picture. I finally got around to looking at my lights today. They have the cast "pot metal" bezels.

GlenJeri... I will try to meet up with you, at a show sometime, and purchase lenses from you then. I've got several other tractor "fixings" to take care of first.

Thanks again, to all, for the help. BILL