wrnchtchr

which spindle?

wrnchtchr

Hello to All,

I am new to this forum but have used and owned Wheel Horse tractors since 1970. My snow plow unit is a 1974 C-100 which I retired from regular yard work this summer. It has a regular 42"? blade to which I welded a 6" piece on each end many years ago so I wasn't dumping snow under my chained up and weighted (two old chevy flywheels each side) rear tires. The old girl does darn good, even up to 10" of the heavy wet stuff we sometimes get hereabouts.

My yard mowing machine is a 1986? ( I think) which I inherited from my grandfather. I has a 42" side which is the basis for my question. The deck seems to be running quite slow, and bogs down to nearly stopped a lot. It also doesn't have the "deck roar" it had even unloaded (running/not mowing)
I have made certain the belts are good and the tension spring is ok, PTO belt is ok and tight enough.
I have decided to tear it apart this winter and maybe rebuild it. ( worn out /dragging spindles ?)

My big question is ... are the spindles the same on a 36" rear , as a 42" side.  I have the 36 that was on when I got it but like the 42 and the side much better.

So can I use the spindles from one when rebuilding the other?

Thanks,

I am retired, but still busy and just don't have the time I would like to chase down a bunch of part numbers and try to cross reference things

Skwerl58

Welcome to Red Square!! Some of the spindles have different bearings and my 87 uses the metric spindle shaft. The bearing is a common one and our local auto parts stores stock them. My deck started slowing and it was  due to the deck idler pulley being shot. Bearing was completely gone and pulley was wobbling on the shaft. Check it out close when you tear it down. Lots of knowledge on this site and they will be around shortly. 

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Spindles between a 36 & 42 deck are NOT the same.  42 & 48 are, but not 36.  36 side and rear are the same.  

• Like 1

peter lena

@wrnchtchr  OPORTUNITY  IS THE WORD , rebuilding spindles is not that difficult , what ever bearings you get / install, suggest  carefully removing the wide rubber side shields , wipe out original grease , flush with carb cleaner , get some Lucas green chassis grease for a repack , on every related bearing , also mule drive , grease is rated at 550   flash point , also polyurea rated . anti sling. original grease fails / noisy whining sound , would also lightly re grease the inner PTO needle bearing . the collective PTO  driven deck  is a real , drag on the entire set up ,  a bearing re grease , will make it spin up without effort , and no noise . thats the opportunity  , correct it while you are there , pete  

• Like 1

Achto
4 hours ago, wrnchtchr said:

The deck seems to be running quite slow, and bogs down to nearly stopped a lot. It also doesn't have the "deck roar" it had even unloaded

:WRS:

You said that you checked belts. Just wondering if the PTO clutch may be slipping??

oliver2-44
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

:WRS:

You said that you checked belts. Just wondering if the PTO clutch may be slipping??

:text-yeahthat:

Also check that the flat bar that the idler mounts to moves freely.  That bar has some plastic bushings and metal washers that help it slide. They wear and need replacing ever so often. 

One of our vendors, Wheel Horse Parts and More can help you with these plastic bushings and bearings.  Some of the other vendors in the Vendors Section can help you with full replacement spindle assemblies.  

• Like 1

76c12091520h

We have everything in stock that you may need.......less than a 1/2 hour away.

20220918_135234[1].jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@wrnchtchr  most basic verification to rotational failure , very simple ,  engine not running , how easily can you move the PTO MULE  DRIVE  BELT , TO THE DECK ? all of mine move easily , also as I  have related to , PTO CLUTCH DISC FAILURE , is very often asked about / referred to , what do you think is  eating that clutch facing ?  COLLECTIVE  ROTATIONAL DRAG ,  every  belt driven area , has to be free , also deck height , helps the discharge /  drag on the deck .  good luck with it , Pete