WHGuy413

Bearing 1529 install????

WHGuy413

What is the easiest way to install the cluster gear closed bearing that is located behind the input shaft on a 8 speed. Part number 1529 is what I see and believe is correct. I was told it could be driven in from the outside but it does not seem like it wants to go. 

squonk

I'm assuming the transmission is apart. There may be a burr in the bore for the bearing in the case half. Try some emery paper on the bore. Put the bearing in a freezer and try again after the bearing is good and cold. They usually go in with little effort

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:        If you have access to an arbor press or a hydraulic press that would be preferable to driving the bearing in with a hammer. If you must use a hammer be sure to use a piece of flat metal or hardwood to distribute the force evenly to prevent the hammer from damaging the bearing.

WHGuy413
3 hours ago, squonk said:

I'm assuming the transmission is apart. There may be a burr in the bore for the bearing in the case half. Try some emery paper on the bore. Put the bearing in a freezer and try again after the bearing is good and cold. They usually go in with little effort

The transmission is not apart. I was told it could be driven in from the outside and didn’t need to take the whole thing apart to do it. Do I need to take it completely apart to do it?

squonk
6 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

The transmission is not apart. I was told it could be driven in from the outside and didn’t need to take the whole thing apart to do it. Do I need to take it completely apart to do it?

The cluster gear has probably dropped and isn't in alignment and that's what's causing the bearing not going in. Is the trans still in the tractor? You might get away with removing the trans and putting it on it's side so the bearing is on the top. but my thinking is if 1 bearing went bad there are more in there that need replacing.

• Excellent 1

WHGuy413

The bearing was missing in the trans when my friend bought the tractor and we didn’t realize it. I tried driving it with a dead blow hammer to start then went to a piece of wood but the center punched back out. I was able to obtain a new bearing from a local dealer that still had one on the shelf and want to make sure I do it right this time. Everything feels ok other than the bearing is missing

Gasaholic

In all honesty, your best bet, especially considering if you have difficulty getting the parts (and count yourself lucky finding one) , you'd be best served by popping the transmission apart and also inspecting all the other bearings and gears (and cleaning out the mess that is almost sure to be inside) Odds are excellent if your bearing failed completely so that it appears missing, you may still have a bit of the old bearing outer race sitting in the transmission case , which would explain why new bearing would not start in. (and to get that worn thin piece of hard steel out of the case, takes a lot of patience and some clever work with a good squared-up punch... often from the inside of the case, meaning transmission torn down. I have done quite a few of those.)

If the bearing had been gone for long enough, and you're unlucky (like me) you may have to replace the whole case half if the cluster gear shaft wore into the case after losing the bearing. At the very minimum of everything else is in perfect condition (probably won't be) all you would then need would be the transmission case gasket, fresh gear oil, and your bearing.

But if it was so far gone that one of those needle bearings went missing - I'd lay odds the bearing failed and wore away, and the shaft itself may have damage that will simply tear up a new bearing. If the bearing actually popped out, then there's a problem with the case if it allowed bearing to come out like that - they'll be a very precise press fit to the case, so only situation I can imagine for a "missing" needle bearing , you're going to have a lot more problems to take care of than just the bearing itself. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

The #1529 bearing equates to SKF M-12121.  You have to open the trans to make sure there is not any remnants from the old bearing.  Then you can tap in the bearing properly...with out the cluster gear shaft in the way.  The bearing should be tapped in far enough to be even with the outside of the case.  :occasion-xmas:

You stand a good chance of ruining the bearing by trying to tap it in with the cluster gear shaft in place.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

WHGuy413

Got the transmission out last night. It’s a little crunchy in spots but not super bad. I have seen worse. I was able to determine that the case for the old bearing was still in the hole. I drove that out. Todays mission is to clean it up and start putting it back together. I was able To free up the high low which now shifts a lot easier. Everything else looks ok. No major concerns. 

IMG_5074.jpeg

IMG_5075.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Looking at those pics I find it hard to believe the rest of the bearings are in good shape. 

• Like 1

WHGuy413
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Looking at those pics I find it hard to believe the rest of the bearings are in good shape. 

I am changing out the brake shaft bearing and seal as that is cracked but the rest of it all spins freely with no grinding or issues that I noticed. The worst spot out of the whole transmission is where the high low and gear shifters are. 

• Like 1

squonk
7 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

I am changing out the brake shaft bearing and seal as that is cracked but the rest of it all spins freely with no grinding or issues that I noticed. The worst spot out of the whole transmission is where the high low and gear shifters are. 

Did you tear everything down and inspect every bearing? A needle could be missing and you may not even know it by feeling how they spin. I just hate to have you have to tear it all back apart in 6 month's because another bearing failed.

• Excellent 2

WHGuy413

From what I have seen so far all the needles are accounted for and all the round bearing balls are in place. Yes I would rather not tear it apart again but unfortunately a full transmission rebuild was not an option at this time for my friend. 

pfrederi

After you get it cleaned up look carefully at the needle bearings. Stick your finger in and try to push the needles around.  they should stay perfectly parallel to the shaft axis.  if they wiggle a bit or sit at an angle replace it they are not that expensive.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413

I tore everything out of the transmission to check all the needle bearings. Everything was intact and nothing is stuck. I reassembled the trans tonight and it now officially shifts easy, and spins easy in all gears. Tomorrow I will reinstall it in the tractor.

Thanks for all the help. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1