leeave96

16 vs 20 Hp Onan Issues

leeave96

How does the 16hp Onan in the 416H tractors holdup compared to the 520H?  Any valve seat, etc issues with the 16?

Just curious - Thanks!

rmaynard

I have close to 1800 hours on my 416-H. I have no problems with it other than using a lot of gas.

lynnmor

I have six 20 HP Onans, one had a loose valve seat but it was subjected to extreme abuse and neglect, for example the cylinder fins were packed with mud dauber nests.  The 16 & 20 are almost identical so my guess is the higher output may cause more heat and possibly loosen a seat quicker, but operated responsibly my opinion is that either one will give good service.

• Like 2

Bill D

I hear more about blown Onan 20's than 16's.  I personally stay away from the 20's.  I currently have two 16's.  Had to convert one to a metal flyball spacer.  Love their power, hate their gas usage.

Handy Don

The Onan 18 and 20 have the same displacement (the 16 is a bit smaller). The cam on the 20 is more aggressive and the carb jet is different. IMHO, it's that aggressiveness PLUS neglecting to keep the fins clean and with proper airflow (I’m looking at you, anyone running without the $5 gasket around the oil filter!) that kills ‘em.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1