CCW

Working smarter not harder Part 2

CCW

As my working smarter not harder project unwinds I have a second part that is rattling around in my head. My trailer does not have a tilt function and unloading the 4x8x2 box in the past was simple. Line it with a tarp and load the leaves in. Upon arrival at the dumping location I would drop the tailgate and pull the leaf loaded tarp right out the back. Worked like a charm. I'm expecting it to be a bit more difficult this year with my hip's arthritis acting up so badly.

So....the trailer bed is big enough for a 4x8 sheet of plywood with plenty of wiggle room. My idea is to drop in the ply and hinge it on the bed of the trailer just inside the tailgate. When ready to dump use the winch to raise the front end of the floor creating a slide for the leaf loaded tarp to slide out the back with less pulling effort. Heck the plywood slide could be waxed to reduce friction.

Thoughts.

Trailer with raised bed.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

Interesting concept. A few thoughts.......

With the hinged pivot at the rear, you are looking at a dead lift. The higher it goes up, the tougher it is to lift.

But - if you move the pivot closer to the rear axle - it makes it easier. Gives you room for a counterweight..... that dowld tip down....

Your lift cable will not be in a straight line as the front of the wood moves away in an arc - the more you go up, the tougher it is to lift. The counterweight would help.

The mount for the pulley to change cable direction - needs to be bigtime solid. OR, mount the winch there.......?? Takes the load off the drawbar.

Lifting the tiltbed just in the middle??? Simpler than a 2 point at the edges, but the load MUST be centered.....

Waxing the wood?? Bet that Slippery Pete @peter lena could recommend a favorite of his for that!!

Feel free to question my observations....

Bill

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Could you tie the front of the tarp to an anchor ie a tree , stump, rock.    Then use Wheel Horse power to drive out from under the leaves.

• Like 1

CCW
Just now, Ed Kennell said:

Could you tie the front of the tarp to an anchor ie a tree , stump, rock.    Then use Wheel Horse power to drive out from under the leaves.

Unfortunately no.  Leaves go to the dump and no where to tie off.  That's why a different solution needs to be found.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CCW
33 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Interesting concept. A few thoughts.......

With the hinged pivot at the rear, you are looking at a dead lift. The higher it goes up, the tougher it is to lift.

But - if you move the pivot closer to the rear axle - it makes it easier. Gives you room for a counterweight..... that dowld tip down....

Your lift cable will not be in a straight line as the front of the wood moves away in an arc - the more you go up, the tougher it is to lift. The counterweight would help.

The mount for the pulley to change cable direction - needs to be bigtime solid. OR, mount the winch there.......?? Takes the load off the drawbar.

Lifting the tiltbed just in the middle??? Simpler than a 2 point at the edges, but the load MUST be centered.....

Waxing the wood?? Bet that Slippery Pete @peter lena could recommend a favorite of his for that!!

Feel free to question my observations....

Bill

Bill - You covered one of my thoughts that the tilting bed moves in an arc.  Given that the lift is only going to be about 18 to 24 inches I think the winch will handle lifting the tarp of leaves.  I can easily move the pulley back a bit so as the bed is pulled up the lift cable becomes more inline with the bed as it rises.  This discussion as just generated a new thought on the pulley location that I now need to puzzle over.

Because the ply bed is on top of an existing bed the axle is not a possible pivot point.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Cable lifts floor up to the pulley and then the frame lifts it the rest of the way. Black dots are pivot pins or full width bars.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 4

JoeM

maybe you could rig up something like this?

image.png.cd1ae57618c9e96091b9b092776af473.png

• Excellent 2

ri702bill
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Cable lifts floor up to the pulley and then the frame lifts it the rest of the way. Black dots are pivot pins or full width bars.

Untitled.jpg

A scissor lift - bending the cable at the front to ger it to move. Going down may be uncontrolably fast..... gravity will not only help you, it may scare you !!!!

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

CCW
10 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Untitled.jpg

I like this and will keep it in mind.  Particularly since the arms only need to be about 12 inches long.

Edited by CCW
  • Like 1

CCW
3 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

A scissor lift - bendind the cable at the front to ger it to move. Going down may be uncontrolably fast..... gravity will not only help you, it may scare you !!!!

Perhaps reversing the winch would bring down slow enough.

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 minute ago, CCW said:

Perhaps reversing the winch would bring down slow enough.

Only if it were empty......

• Like 1

CCW
10 minutes ago, JoeM said:

maybe you could rig up something like this?

image.png.cd1ae57618c9e96091b9b092776af473.png

Came across this as I was researching my options and remains one I am kicking around.

• Like 1

CCW
1 minute ago, ri702bill said:

Only if it were empty......

That's the plan.  Raise floor to assist in removing tarp full of leaves and then lower it after trailer is empty.

• Like 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

A scissor lift - bendind the cable at the front to ger it to move. Going down may be uncontrolably fast..... gravity will not only help you, it may scare you !!!!

If you built it as drawn, the force to start the floor lifting will be extremely high - might even stall the wench.

If you build something like that, hook the upper arms to brackets on the moving floor that will put the pivot points for the arms maybe 6" or more above the floor.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Not too difficult to add a tilting mech.       Image result for Tilting Trailer Design 

• Like 3

peter lena

@CCW  think I will just stay out of this , when ever  I suggest a change thats "  NOT IN THE BOOK " ,  the purists  get very upset , and the sarcasm starts , probably should just let it be , meantime , will be  with my son  on doing a rustproofing job on a recently Mercedes car pick up , body soak , improvements at every step , he sees things like I do , why not eliminate a problem , pete 

• Like 2

CCW

@peter lena  I get it. In actuality I may be solving a problem that does not exist with this idea, but the mental exercise and suggestions from others was worth it.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:confusion-confused:    How about having a tarp attached to the back of the trailer floor. and front wall with an accumulation shelf for enough tarp to reach back a couple feet on the top. The top part of the tatp would be attached to two pieces of rope that is routed through a pair of pullies. When the trailer has been backed into the dumping area you block the trailer wheels, unhook the trailer, attach the ropes to the :wh: and drive forward. the tarp will move to the back taking most of the leaves with it. You will have a few leaves to be unloaded by hand but most of the load will be on the ground.

1353647424_leafunloader.thumb.jpg.4f291b309d4c664228820116e9c11b6f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Use a leaf blower to blow the leaves out of the cart?

• Like 1

CCW

Taking all the comments into consideration I think I am going to revert to the advice my father gave me as  young boy.  KISS.  Keep It Simple Stupid.  With that in mind when I arrive at the dump I will run the winch cable under the trailer, connect to a rope tied to the front of the leaf loaded tarp and pull it end over end.  See drawing below.  As the leaves empty out the back the tarp will become lighter easing any strain on the winch.

Trailer Leaf Emptying.jpg

Edited by CCW
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

That'll work... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Handy Don

Hire a high-schooler to help?

• Like 1