David F

Choke Cable

David F

Hi. How do I take off Choke Cable on my 312-8? Thanks

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: David

Are you replacing a frozen cable?

David F

Hi.. it is frozen.. So I’d like to take cable off and lubricate to free it or just replace it

Thanks

Ed Kennell

Your 308 should have the push/pull knob.      If you loosen the clamp that is near the carburetor and remove the clamp under the fly wheel shroud, then pull the cable out from under the flywheel shroud, you should have enough slack to work the Z shaped end out of the lever hole.    

To remover the cable from the dashboard, you will need to remove the battery to access the nut that bolts the knob to the dash.   There may also be a lock washer  under the nut that you will have to slide off the cable as well as you pull the cable out of the dash.

The cable wire is usually rusted near the bottom and I have had some success by hanging the cable by the wire in a vise and dripping PB Blaster in the cable and letting it soak for days.

Then with the wire clamped in the vise, try to work it loose by pulling on the cable covering.

Good Luck

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@David F https://www.grainger.com/product/44N750?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAjwyNSoBhA9EiwA5aYlbwngwyuQBusvudmYWN4Kx43ob-pmUS8aAbsJZE82aF-tZte7hh8T1hoCMqAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds only a suggestion /  reference / local H/ W  store , about $ 6 , another VITAL  thing about cable lay out , is let it be where it continues to MOVE EASIST , verify that as you set it up . along with lube run out . ,also lubricate related movement  connections , agree  with @Ed Kennell on set up .  they all require , some tweaking  for a smoother / easy reaction .   pete

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@David F this lube is what you want , have it in all  my cables , check out temp range , verify movement as you go , maintaining easy smooth slide , lube as you go , any cable tight curve should be corrected , pete

David F

Thanks Peter !

• Thanks 1