coldstart

kohler k161t no valve adjusters

coldstart

I took the side cover off the engine to check the valve clearances and there were no nuts there at all it was spring from top to bottom .I believe the tiller is around  1979 . any ideas I guess i should take a picture for viewing thanks 

Achto
1 hour ago, coldstart said:

any ideas I guess i should take a picture for viewing thanks 

:WRS:

The Kohler small block engines ( K90 - K181 ) do not have adjustable tappets. If the clearance is less than recommended specs, you need to remove the valve and grind the end down to gain clearance. If the clearance is more than recommended specs, you need to replace and fit with a new valve.

Page 3.6 in the Kohler service manual.

https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

ri702bill
18 minutes ago, Achto said:

If the clearance is more than recommended specs, you need to replace and fit with a new valve.

A couple of things to consider. A new valve has a stem that is too long to install as-supplied - it needs to be trimmed for proper cold clearance.

IF the gap is too wide by less than .005 inches, you can grind the valve (or its seat) to gain that back...... done that before.

Usually, thru wear, the gap gets too small..........

• Like 2

moe1965

If you have to grind take your time and take a little and recheck several times it's easy to take off more than you intend.    

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
2 hours ago, moe1965 said:

If you have to grind take your time and take a little and recheck several times it's easy to take off more than you intend.    

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1