BairleaFarm

Cut my Thumb off.

BairleaFarm

I was pulling a steering shaft when it happened.   I knew it was bad but when I went to call someone the blood just smeared my phone.    The phone kicked on and said would you like to make an Emergency call.   Yes google I think I would.    911 operator answered and o told here I cut my finger off and to call my wife.   My wife was on duty at the time and I didn't want her to hear our address come across the radio.    They called her and it turns out when you're on the phone with 911 they block your phone.   By this time im getting woozy.    No problem 911 woman I've made it to the porch and am sitting down.    No fall then head injury for me.    By this time the wife has gotten ahold of the son and told him to go get me(hes a permitted driver).   He comes scoot scooting across the field and I tell him to take me to my brother.    I didn't want him to be under the stresses of me bleeding since he was a new driver.     Brother takes me to the ER.   Me being the overly prepared person that i am called the VA )we have a great VA here) and told them I cut my thumb off and if they were going to ship me out to UK.    You know cut out the middle man.      Anywho I went to UK.   3 hours later they did nothing so i walked next door to the VA.   They  said you have a IV.  I said I know UK wouldn't pull it.  She said they cant do that.   I said focus - thumb flopping.     I was nasty from working on a vehicle standing in the ER with another hospitals iv and bracelet in.     Within 30 minutes the VA had me cleaned up, xrays done, and a fresh coke in my hand.    The ER doctor said he could put it back on but he wasn't good at stitching.   No problem.          So hes wearing my thumb over his finger and steps out to get something.   I said was he just fingering my finger - she said yes.   I said man that's gonna hurt tomorrow.   Spoiler - that was a lie I didn't make it home before it started hurting.    Any ways he got it put back on and has since healed with nearly no scar.   Spectacular job at reattaching it.   Its been a year now and I have pretty much full range of motion.   Its cold and sore a lot and I still have very limited grip strength.  

FB_IMG_1695324160299.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 7

rmaynard

At least you had the sense not to show is the bloody stump. Looks like a pretty good reattachment. Color is good, stitches aren't that bad. My question is, how in the world did you manage to amputated your thumb pulling a steering wheel off? :scratchead:

Maybe I don't want to know...

• Like 2

Tonytoro416

I never cut my finger off but I did have both my thumbs smashed in a 20 ton press.  Yes both thumbs at the same time. It’s hard to explain lol lack there of safeguards we will say.  I feel your pain on range of motion and those cold days.  I used to deer hunt with no gloves at all. I wouldn’t even make it to the stand without gloves these days 

• Like 3

BairleaFarm
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

My question is, how in the world did you manage to amputated your thumb pulling a steering wheel off? :scratchead:

Steering shaft.    Under the hood.   Caught it on a fender.     They made be stay 6 hours after they put it back on to confirm blood flow.   

1 hour ago, Tonytoro416 said:

I did have both my thumbs smashed in a 20 ton press.  Yes both thumbs at the same time.

Ouch

• Like 1

Tonytoro416
6 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

Steering shaft.    Under the hood.   Caught it on a fender.     They made be stay 6 hours after they put it back on to confirm blood flow.   

Ouch

Literally blew both my thumbs out the ends and sides 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

**** happens.

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA

Glad to see you’re all healed up, but don’t be surprised if that digit winds up becoming your “weather thumb” some fine day in the future. 

• Like 1

varosd

Medico here

excellent suture job

occupational Therapy (OT) will be essential when you are ready for rehab 

no, JB Weld would not have worked 

lol

Don V PA-C

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BairleaFarm
1 hour ago, varosd said:

occupational Therapy (OT) will be essential when you are ready for rehab 

Nope - no even recommended.   Hand surgeon checked me out 2 days after and then a week after that.   He said everything I was doing was great and there was nothing else he could do.   He said it would be 6 months to a year before I could really start using it (he knew I turned wrenches).  I thought he was kidding.  Nope it really did take months.   I regained 90% function and 100% feeling.   It got into the nail bed but that has even grown out and is normal.    

• Like 1

Pullstart

Wow, quite the story!  What is UK?  Glad to know you’re healing up!  :handgestures-thumbupright: (yes, that emoji is a little pun intended!)

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What is UK?  

University of Kentucky Medical Center?

• Like 1

BairleaFarm
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Wow, quite the story!  What is UK?  Glad to know you’re healing up!  :handgestures-thumbupright: (yes, that emoji is a little pun intended!)

2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

University of Kentucky Medical Center?

Correct  U of K medical center.    Known for horrible service.

• Sad 1

rmaynard

Looking at your profile @BairleaFarm I notice that you were in the Coast Guard. I was as well. That reminded me of a story. We were out on Ocean Station Bravo in 1969, one of the toughest stations in the north Atlantic. I got a radio call from a Russian trawler in morse code. After translation, we found that they had a crew member who had his thumb amputated when a large horizontal hatch cover came crashing down on his hand. We were the closest ship with a doctor on board, so in heavy seas, he, a boatswain's mate, and a weather observer who spoke a little Russian, manned a 20 foot boat and went to the trawler. The doctor could not reattach the thumb with the limited medical equipment, but he did close him up.

Just one the many tales of the sea.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Wish you best convalescent.

I hope you can use your thumb in the future.

👍

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

At least you can still hitchhike…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BairleaFarm
On 9/22/2023 at 5:33 PM, rmaynard said:

Looking at your profile @BairleaFarm I notice that you were in the Coast Guard. I was as well.

Small world even if you were a little before my time.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:00 PM, Tractorhead said:

I hope you can use your thumb in the future.

👍

I can - Its gotten healed as good as its going to I think but Im happy with what use ive got.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:38 PM, Horse Newbie said:

At least you can still hitchhike…

Very true.   These boots are made for walking doesn't fit my physical condition any more. 

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
On 9/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, BairleaFarm said:

Steering shaft.    Under the hood.   Caught it on a fender.

Yup, I did auto glass and auto body for 35 years and there are some wicked sharp body panels on vehicles!!! Have had the stitches to prove it! 

Glad you are doing okay with it!! 

Randy

• Like 2