Sled Man

Which gear to pull in?

Sled Man

I have a B-80 I have turned into a puller.  It has the 3 low and 3 high gears.  My question is does 1H have more power than 2L or do all three low gears have more power than the higher gears.  Tractor generally stalls out and just want to know which gear is best to pull in.  

Pullstart

Power is a touchy term.  3L is a bit lower gearing than 1H.  Power is relative though.

• Like 1

Achto
8 hours ago, Sled Man said:

My question is does 1H have more power than 2L or do all three low gears have more power than the higher gears.  Tractor generally stalls out and just want to know which gear is best to pull in.

1st & 2nd are probably the strongest gears inside your transmission. Running in low range will give you more pulling power but you will sacrifice ground speed. Slower ground speed will put you at a disadvantage when pulling, making it more prone to loose traction. Momentum is your friend. :) 

Check the rules where you are pulling. Our local club allows the RPMs of the engine to be increased according to HP rating in stock class. Example - under 10hp are allowed to run at 4200RPMs max, 10 - 15hp can run at 4000RPMs max, 16hp & up are limited to 3700RPMs max. Increasing your engines RPMs will give it a little more horse power to help keep it from stalling out.

Sled Man
9 hours ago, Achto said:

1st & 2nd are probably the strongest gears inside your transmission. Running in low range will give you more pulling power but you will sacrifice ground speed. Slower ground speed will put you at a disadvantage when pulling, making it more prone to loose traction. Momentum is your friend. :) 

Check the rules where you are pulling. Our local club allows the RPMs of the engine to be increased according to HP rating in stock class. Example - under 10hp are allowed to run at 4200RPMs max, 10 - 15hp can run at 4000RPMs max, 16hp & up are limited to 3700RPMs max. Increasing your engines RPMs will give it a little more horse power to help keep it from stalling out.

Unfortunately we are in a class that governs regardless.  It also has a 10hp limit.  The tractor is for my 7 year old

• Excellent 1

WHGuy413

My son is getting into pulling and the local pulling club president let him come pull at his place of business the other day to see if he liked it. He said that the rpm’s can be brought up as he goes. But some people will crank it right from The start. We played around with gears and determined that h1 works good for most and the dropped it down to l3 or even l2 when needed. Can’t wait for his first pull in a few weeks. Will be running in the strictly stock class with his c-121.

• Excellent 1

Sled Man
12 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

My son is getting into pulling and the local pulling club president let him come pull at his place of business the other day to see if he liked it. He said that the rpm’s can be brought up as he goes. But some people will crank it right from The start. We played around with gears and determined that h1 works good for most and the dropped it down to l3 or even l2 when needed. Can’t wait for his first pull in a few weeks. Will be running in the strictly stock class with his c-121.

Good information.  We have pulled this year and haven't had a chance like that to play around with the gears.  

Jon Paulsen
On 9/17/2023 at 11:47 PM, Pullstart said:

Power is a touchy term.

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the laugh bro. Pullstart :lol::lol::lol:

For future reference:

GearRatio.png.6bd03e8c3311f8d43ff5333b80fce8d8.png