the jeep driver

How far can I sharpen mower blades? And what to replace with?

the jeep driver

How much metal can I take off of these blades before they are no longer serviceable?  They are about two inches wide, and have about 1/4" before I would get into the curve of the mulching blade.  

20230917_153628.jpg.3c1e0d3554165b9b978feea495c61f22.jpg

I have a deck with three 106108B stamped blades.  If I do need to replace them soon, what do you recommend?  Not many options come up in an internet search.  I see this; "Toro Replacement Blade - 14 1/2" x 2" - Replaces 106108," but my 106108B blades are only 14 1/8" long... ?  

lynnmor

You measure mower blades at an angle from cutting tip to cutting tip.  You should be able to find what you need at farm supply stores.  You can get some more use out of the one shown so long as it still has little thinning and you don’t get uncut grass between the blades.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
22 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

You measure mower blades at an angle from cutting tip to cutting tip.  You should be able to find what you need at farm supply stores.  You can get some more use out of the one shown so long as it still has little thinning and you don’t get uncut grass between the blades.

:text-yeahthat:        The effective tip to tip length becomes shorter and decreases the overlap as the blades are ground back.   The shorter blades may start to leave an uncut strip first noticeable when turning.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

the jeep driver

Thanks much you two!  I did not realize that the blades were getting shorter as I sharpened, but now that I look it, makes sense, obviously so!  

• Like 1

Handy Don

I use a fine grit on a bench belt sander to sharpen the blades making very sure not to heat the blade edge (I rotate across the four edges of my two blades every few seconds of sharpening and dip into a pail of cold water.. In my experience, i take off less metal and my blades last longer.

• Like 1

Lee1977

This is my sharping tool Gator flap sander disk on a side grinder removes metal and doesn't get it hot. Use a light toutch as they realy remove metal. I also use it on axes ,bush axes. 

SAM-1139.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Handy Don  agree with the minimal metal removal , personally use a fine  triangle file , I don't have any rocks or heavy IMPACT  spots on my lawn , look things over on a regular deck inspection , as you probably have , seen " BLADES "  that were  totally shot . deck packed , with rot , don't understand how you can this is ok , pete

Bill D

I got some XHT blades online from Hartsville Hardware for my 48" decks. Great price and fast shipping.

• Like 2

Lee1977

I also use XHT blades the toughest blades I have ever used. Got mine from Proparts Place, Swainboro, Ga.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Handy Don
42 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I also use XHT blades the toughest blades I have evr used. Got mine from Proparts Place, Swainboro, Ga.

I like these but they don’t make them for the size and counter-rotation of the ‘60s RM decks. :(