Greg Barnett

1989 wheel horse 208-4sb

Greg Barnett

When i shift tractor into gear it takes off and won't stop. When i engage the clutch/brake it continues to drive. I have to turn it off to stop it. When it's turned off i can shift thru the gears smoothly. but when i start it and put it in gear it will not go back out of gear. I noticed that the clutch/brake has very little pull untill the last several inches. It didn't do this before. I've checked the springs, brake pad, pulley's etc. This all happened after my drive belt came off. I replaced it and this started happening. It's been two wks. and i could sure use some help. Thanks

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

51 minutes ago, Greg Barnett said:

When i shift tractor into gear it takes off and won't stop. When i engage the clutch/brake it continues to drive. I have to turn it off to stop it. When it's turned off i can shift thru the gears smoothly. but when i start it and put it in gear it will not go back out of gear. I noticed that the clutch/brake has very little pull untill the last several inches. It didn't do this before. I've checked the springs, brake pad, pulley's etc. This all happened after my drive belt came off. I replaced it and this started happening. It's been two wks. and i could sure use some help. Thanks

@Greg Barnett

I'm not familiar with this model, but I'll throw a few thoughts out.

I noticed that the clutch/brake has very little pull untill the last several inches.

What do you mean by " very little Pull"  

Did you put the same belt back on? or a new one?

Was the belt coming off a symptom of something else going on, or was the belt worn so the belt was the cause. 

Did the belt appear worn?  When the "sides of a belt wear it makes the belt sit deeper in the pulleys so it acts like it is longer (Thats one possible reason it might have come off)

With a longer belt your clutch pedal would do nothing for the first part of depressing it until the extra slack it the belt was taken up.  

A brief look at the parts list I don't see any clutch "adjustment"  You might take a look at the clutch linkage and see if there is any adjustment?

Also check if the belt idler pulley and arm still have room left to travel to keep putting tension on the belt, or is the belt so long that the idler is out of travel so the belt is getting looser (which would make it harder for the clutch to work.

Just an FYI,  I noticed in the parts list there is a note to grease a grease fitting that goes to a bushing on a pulley.  Make sure all your maintenance is being done so everything works as intended.  

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

wallfish

:WRS:

Also not familiar with that model but that's symptoms of a belt that's too short or it's routed incorrectly on any model. It's engaged all the time and not releasing enough belt tension when you push the pedal. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:Greg

Also not familiar with the vertical engine lawn mowers, but some things to check were mentioned above by Jim and John.

I'll add the Idler pulleys frozen, clutch pulley frozen, belt guides not adjusted correctly.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Sounds like belt issues identified above.

Id put it up on very stable blocks so you can assess pulley, belt, lever, linkage function without tractor moving. Belt should go slack when clutch pedal is pushed down. When pedal is up the belt should be tight with little movement...

• Like 1

Greg Barnett
On 9/16/2023 at 7:49 AM, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:Greg

Also not familiar with the vertical engine lawn mowers, but some things to check were mentioned above by Jim and John.

I'll add the Idler pulleys frozen, clutch pulley frozen, belt guides not adjusted correctly.

Thank you.

Greg Barnett
On 9/15/2023 at 10:48 PM, oliver2-44 said:

@Greg Barnett

I'm not familiar with this model, but I'll throw a few thoughts out.

I noticed that the clutch/brake has very little pull untill the last several inches.

What do you mean by " very little Pull"  

Did you put the same belt back on? or a new one?

Was the belt coming off a symptom of something else going on, or was the belt worn so the belt was the cause. 

Did the belt appear worn?  When the "sides of a belt wear it makes the belt sit deeper in the pulleys so it acts like it is longer (Thats one possible reason it might have come off)

With a longer belt your clutch pedal would do nothing for the first part of depressing it until the extra slack it the belt was taken up.  

A brief look at the parts list I don't see any clutch "adjustment"  You might take a look at the clutch linkage and see if there is any adjustment?

Also check if the belt idler pulley and arm still have room left to travel to keep putting tension on the belt, or is the belt so long that the idler is out of travel so the belt is getting looser (which would make it harder for the clutch to work.

Just an FYI,  I noticed in the parts list there is a note to grease a grease fitting that goes to a bushing on a pulley.  Make sure all your maintenance is being done so everything works as intended.  

Hi, I installed a new belt, checked all the springs and pulleys. could it be the electric clutch. Thanks

Ed Kennell
On 9/16/2023 at 7:49 AM, Ed Kennell said:
25 minutes ago, Greg Barnett said:

. could it be the electric clutch. Thanks

I'll add the , clutch pulley frozen, 

Can you hear it click in and can you see it turning?

oliver2-44
47 minutes ago, Greg Barnett said:

Hi, I installed a new belt, checked all the springs and pulleys. could it be the electric clutch. Thanks

If I understand this model correctly the electros clutch just turns the mower deck on/off. 
It sure sounds like your new belt is too tight/short or not routed correctly as Wallfish mentioned. 

So from a trouble shooting aspect, we know:

1 it worked with the old belt, but threw the old belt for some unknown reason

2 with the new belt it won’t clutch/disengage. 

Do you have the old belt?

If so compare their lengths?

As a process of elimination You might try putting the old belt back on to see if the clutching problem goes away. When you have the belt off check the pulleys and idler and linkage with no pressure on them. 

• Like 1

Greg Barnett
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Can you hear it click in and can you see it turning?

I'll look at that again. Thanks