Tonyp

M 10 slight ticking - thoughts

Tonyp

I picked up a clean 310-8, no deck. It runs great but I noticed a bit of ticking.  It does not smoke.  The oil is clean from the former owner but I will change it myself over the weekend as I don't know what oil is in it.    I have another  310-8 which I bought  new in 87, it has 2000 hrs on it and NO ticking.  That's  why I noticed the ticking on the  one I just bought.   Its not excessive but consistent and noticeable. 

Thoughts ?

Edited by Tonyp
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Check the valve adjustment  (as a big block the M10 valves are adjustable)

• Like 5

ri702bill

Tony - is the ticking from the engine or the Unidrive?? Similar noise, different components that are responsible.......... sounds like a "teething" issue........

• Like 1

Tonyp
35 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Tony - is the ticking from the engine or the Unidrive?? Similar noise, different components that are responsible.......... sounds like a "teething" issue........

Best I can tell the ticking is from the left side of the engine, cooling mesh side.  The ticking is while idling.   

thx !

• Like 1

Tonyp
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Check the valve adjustment  (as a big block the M10 valves are adjustable)

Uhmmm, I've never done that but perhaps I will !,I'm not afraid to do it.     Can you point me to a video or some  instructions ?

thx

• Like 1

moe1965

Could be something simple as loose bolt on tin work or shroud rubbing the flywheel area I had similar issue once.  Hope it's a simple fix and not a internal thing.   

• Like 1

TonyToro Jr.
3 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

Could be something simple as loose bolt on tin work or shroud rubbing the flywheel area I had similar issue once.  Hope it's a simple fix and not a internal thing.   

:text-yeahthat: Also could there be depris or something behind that cover?

• Like 3

pfrederi

Page 3-6 for valve adjustment

• Like 2

Tonyp

Big thx to each of you.  This morning I changed the oil 10W-40, yes a bit heavy but I wanted to see if there was a change, there was not.

I've only  had  this tractor   for one week and it needed a few things, so I did some simple  maintenance before digging into the "ticking",    So here's what I have come to "assume", the ticking is really the loudest by the cooling mesh. While that can still be the valves, I am going to remove the FW cover and check things out,  maybe it  is something bizarre .

One question though, what happens if it is the valves ticking and I do not adjust or repair ?    This particular tractor was purchased as a spare ( its #4) for  parts if needed.     

more later

thx

tp

• Like 1

Wild Bill 633

Engines requiring valve to tappet clearance will have a valve tick versus engines using hydraulic lifters and no valve clearance do not have a valve tick.  

• Like 1

kpinnc

Just for giggles, I would pull the head and make sure you don't have debris or carbon buildup on the piston as well. 

Years ago I had a rebuilt carb that shed a throttle flapper screw, and it ended up on top of the piston. Luckily it was brass so it flattened out, but it gave a distinct tick at lower RPMs. 

• Like 3

Tonyp
On 9/17/2023 at 1:27 PM, kpinnc said:

Just for giggles, I would pull the head and make sure you don't have debris or carbon buildup on the piston as well. 

Years ago I had a rebuilt carb that shed a throttle flapper screw, and it ended up on top of the piston. Luckily it was brass so it flattened out, but it gave a distinct tick at lower RPMs. 

The ticking is consistent with engine rpm, fast or slow .  I believe I will pull the head once I confirm its nothing inside the side cover. . But it won't be until after leaves, I have enough to do until then .   Maybe start taking it apart December'ish as I stated earlier, its a parts machine but yet, runs good--well except for the  ticking LOL :)

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Tonyp said:

Maybe start taking it apart December'ish as I stated earlier, its a parts machine but yet, runs good--well except for the  ticking LOL

Well good luck regardless. The 10 horse Kohlers are very smooth runners, and sip fuel. Very good engines!