hotajax

Lost the Little Detente Ball For the Choke Lever

hotajax

Is this something most hardware stores sell in those little bin boxes?  Can't find that little bugger anywhere.  Its for a 314-8 carb that I got from I Save Tractors.

Edited by hotajax

ri702bill

Probably not - too small. it is very close in diameter to the OD of the spring that pushes on it.

Steal the one from your original carb???

Bill

• Like 1

wallfish

If you have an Old School hardware store that still has ball bearings in their drawers.

I've found and bought 1/16" and 3/32" ball bearings for the check valves in little O&R engine carbs. Don't believe they're smaller than that.

But we are loosing all of our old mom and pop hardware stores everywhere. It was a sad day when they closed Elwood Adams Hardware 2017. The oldest hardware store in the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwood_Adams_Store

• Sad 2

ri702bill

We had a great Hardware store here in town for years - 1st floor and basement of an old 5 story building - gone about 15 years or so.....

JoeM

image.png.ec1d3203e0e73b891bc9c51b9dbce375.png

• Like 1

daveoman1966
2 hours ago, hotajax said:

Is this something most hardware stores sell in those little bin boxes?  Can't find that little bugger anywhere.  Its for a 314-8 carb that I got from I Save Tractors.

...Guessing...  A lawn mower repair shop... MAYBE.  ---or---

Tear apart a small BALL BEARING....  maybe a wheel bearing or something like it.

Edited by daveoman1966

Kenneth R Cluley

check local bicycle shop. They have ball bearings for old school wheel bearings and headsets.

• Like 1

Chaz54
1 hour ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

check local bicycle shop. They have ball bearings for old school wheel bearings and headsets.

I would try a bicycle shop like Ken said.

Many of the modern higher end bicycles use loose bearings in the wheels and headsets.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Send me your address and I will mail you a couple. I have a bag of 100 of them. 

• Like 6

Racinbob

With the cable operated control the little ball isn't needed but I did get some from McMaster.:)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

JoeM
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Send me your address and I will mail you a couple.

Just a balls out thing to do!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

hotajax
8 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Send me your address and I will mail you a couple. I have a bag of 100 of them. 

Email sent, thanks a bunch.

Lagersolut
19 hours ago, wallfish said:

But we are loosing all of our old mom and pop hardware stores everywhere. It was a sad day when they closed Elwood Adams Hardware 2017. The oldest hardware store in the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwood_Adams_Store

It was a sad day when we lost Ziegler's on main st in Spring Grove - years ago I was helping Dad with his Simplicity . ( broken throttle cable ) After calling and  running all over the county chasing a replacement ( pre internet ) I stopped in Ziegler's last ditch effort ( they worked on Lawn boy ) . Showed him what I had ask if he could get/order - hold on a minute - he goes downstairs comes up with a whole roll of wire for inside the casing cut it to size put your own bends in . Old wood floors creaked when you walked in still bought nails by the pound/penny . Took my cut to size wire up to Dads had the tractor going again in 20 min -1/2 hour - wire set me back all of 2 or 3 bucks .

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Carpenter’s in Camden, NY is hanging on. The area is so rural and economically down that the big box stores are still 25 miles away.

On a visit with my oldest grandson, he wanted to know why there were numbers painted on the floor down the main aisle. I realized they were for measuring out rope, wire, and chain from big rolls at the rear of the store. Last number was, if I recall, 90 just inside the threshold of the front door. He wanted us to buy some rope so he could see them do the measuring!

An additional plus is that they hire young people for the summer and the old timers give them an education. We were helped by a 2nd year engineering student who’d been working there for several years and she got us to the right parts drawer in about 10 seconds when told the length, diameter, and TPI for a bolt I needed.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3

1940willys

Oh yes, For the Times They are a Change'n!  Somebody sang that? Bob Dillon, yep that's who it was. And not for the better!! A few hardware stores that come to my mine local here WERE: Masters & Simon, Eddy Moore's Hardware, and Willink Hardware.

Edited by 1940willys

johnnymag3

McMaster-Carr