Heatingman

New (to me) metal cutting band saw

peter lena

@Heatingman  we used to have  SIMALAR , PORTA BAND SAWS  IN ALL OUR SHOPS , always making up metal , brackets / fittings , like a third arm , don't  force it let the saw blade find its happy place , safety glasses , etc.  , background horse looks good Pete

• Like 3

953 nut
24 minutes ago, Heatingman said:

Had been trying to get my woodworking bandsaw to function as a metal cutting saw, but couldn’t find a blade that would really work at those speeds

:text-yeahthat:

I used a metal cutting blade on one of my upright bandsaws and even had an oil drip set-up on it, the blade overheated unless the material feed rate was VERY SLOOOOW!

• Like 2

pacer

That little saw is either a HF version or a clone. HF has carried it for ..... many? years with very little changes, probably cause its such a great little tool. You scored!!

I got mine some 12-15 yrs ago and have done several mods - better motor, wheeled stand, etc and that little thing gets used almost daily!! 

As to modifying a wood saw, I found a small gear box that reduced the speed and adapted a variable speed motor (off treadmill) and it too gets a lot of use.

• Like 2

Heatingman

This one is branded Buffalo. Think HF cloned this type, or whatever this is a clone of. 

Ive seen them branded as shop fox, grizzly, HF, cal tool, Wen, etc. HF doesn’t originate anything. They only reverse engineer other stuff thats on the market. 

This one is made in Taiwan, but its 20 years old and still holding up fine. Ive seen these Taiwan jobs that are 40 years old, same design.

• Like 3

JoeM

handy dandy. 

got one on the cheap too.

has cut a lot of metal. and sometimes use it in the upright position. 

I have both 18T and 24T but use the 18T more just got to be careful on thin stuff. 

ditched the Harbor Fright blades and I spend more on the Olson Hard Back

• Like 5

wallfish

Nice find. A true time saver as you can basically set it and forget it and go do other stuff while she's cutting. Especially nice for bigger thicker material and or many pieces.

There's little adjustments of the rollers to get the blade to cut straight and true but once set up, it's nice to have everything cut square. Run some practice pieces for a long cut, maybe 4-6 inches or so and make adjustments as necessary until that cut line is square the entire length. 

I prefer using a variable-pitch blade and a higher TPI blade for thinner sheet metal stuff

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

Nice score. I have the HFT version, works great ONCE YOU GET IT TO TRACK PROPERLY in both horizontal and vertical positions. 

I did two mods right when I got it - drilled & tapped the gearbox for a drain - 1/8 NPT short nipple & cap. The "as shipped" lubricant needs to be drained and replaced with 400 weight gear oil, to protect the worm gear. The stability of the shelf you for vertical use was totally inadequate as supplied. Modified to add the necessary rigidity.

I completely agree with @wallfish about the premium variable pitch sawblade - cuts better, straighter and is somewhat self cleaning. FYI - I could NOT get the tracking correct using the as supplied cheapo carbon steel sawblade. Switched to the variable pitch - no issues.....

I purposely did not mount it on a dolly - my celler floor is far from level and I don't need to chase it.

• Like 4

Heatingman
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Nice score. I have the HFT version, works great ONCE YOU GET IT TO TRACK PROPERLY in both horizontal and vertical positions. 

I did two mods right when I got it - drilled & tapped the gearbox for a drain - 1/8 NPT short nipple & cap. The "as shipped" lubricant needs to be drained and replaced with 400 weight gear oil, to protect the worm gear. The stability of the shelf you for vertical use was totally inadequate as supplied. Modified to add the necessary rigidity.

I completely agree with @wallfish about the premium variable pitch sawblade - cuts better, straighter and is somewhat self cleaning. FYI - I could NOT get the tracking correct using the as supplied cheapo carbon steel sawblade. Switched to the variable pitch - no issues.....

I purposely did not mount it on a dolly - my celler floor is far from level and I don't need to chase it.

I’ll have to do that, add the drain tap for the gear box. I’ll look into that once I get the shop back in order. Been rearranging stuff ever since I decided I wanted another work bench. That turned into a total reorganization of the shop.

Wasn’t planning on spending a good chunk of the day cleaning and repainting the band saw, but I had to do something while waited between finish coats on the new workbench. 

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

IMG_1449.jpeg

• Excellent 4

ri702bill

Looking at the pictures, I do not see the small table and bracket for the vertical use of the saw - did it come with one?? As I mentioned, it needs some rework to make it "work"

I can provide pictures of both mods if you wish.

Bill

• Like 1

Heatingman

I’ll have to do that, add the drain tap for the gear box. I’ll look into that once I get the shop back in order. Been rearranging stuff ever since I decided I wanted another work bench. That turned into a total reorganization of the shop.

Wasn’t planning on spending a good chunk of the day cleaning and repainting the band saw, but I had to do something while waited between finish coats on the new workbench. 

Heatingman

Looking at the pictures, I do not see the small table and bracket for the vertical use of the saw - did it come with one?? As I mentioned, it needs some rework to make it "work"

I can provide pictures of both mods if you wish.

Bill

Sure, 

I’ll have a gander at the mods you made for inspiration 

ri702bill

OK - Modifications. First is the external drain - easy to do and is out of harm's way. Drain it in the horizontal position.....

Next - the small flimsy table for vertical use. It mounts with the same 2 screws from the horseshoe plate and had one thin gage support strap in the rear. I added a removable piece of 3/16" hot rolled underneath, as the forward left side could not support any weight as purchased. The miter gage is borrowed from another bench tool - not included.

There are numerous YT videos of upgrades for these, most deal with replacing the downforce spring with either an air of hydraulic cylinder.

Bill

P1010188.JPG

P1010189.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
8 hours ago, ri702bill said:

400 weight gear oil ? Where do you get that? 

ri702bill
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

400 weight gear oil ? Where do you get that? 

Amazon has it - plays well with brass & bronze parts - some gear oils do not...

• Thanks 1