mrmajestic01

654 with h60 and date code of 7

mrmajestic01

I have 2 of them with date codes that start with 7, did they make Tecumseh in 1957

Sparky
1 hour ago, mrmajestic01 said:

I have 2 of them with date codes that start with 7, did they make Tecumseh in 1957

Probably 1967… if I was to guess 

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

:banana-gotpics:

mrmajestic01
17 minutes ago, Sparky said:

There are 1964 tractors

stevasaurus

Tecumsah entered the small engine market in 1956.  They bought Lawson in 1957.

Are you sure youe are not looking at the engine spec number and not the date of manufacture?  :eusa-think:

Edited by stevasaurus

mrmajestic01

16942621253667201768477569548697.jpg.1473ff6002231326bb23f3bbadc78201.jpg

15 hours ago, Sparky said:

There are 1964 tractors

mrmajestic01

16942625564148288712328754368533.jpg

mrmajestic01

Maybe someone before me found diffrent motors?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
1 hour ago, mrmajestic01 said:

Maybe someone before me found diffrent motors?

A lot can happen in 60 years to a piece of equipment !

stevasaurus

The 751826 is the spec number.  The 16529 is probably the 5 diget DOM code.  That would mean the engine is a 1961.  Not positive, but much more believable.  DOM = Date of Manufacture.  No idea what the other 4 numbers mean, but the first number is the year.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus

J854D
29 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

No idea what the other 4 numbers mean, but the first number is the year.  :occasion-xmas:

Not for certain on this,but I’m wondering if the 4 digit number in the serial number is a Julian date code indicating when it was built. The 4 digit number in the second picture is 7342, meaning 7=1967 & 342=Friday December 8th. The number in the first picture is 7318 meaning it was built 24 days earlier.🤔 -JD-

mrmajestic01

Yes, but my tractors are 654

stevasaurus

The serial number is just that...how many were made before yours. plus one.  The DOM is the 5 diget code that Tecumsh uses for date of manufacture.  Google "History of Tecumseh".  I see no issue with a 1961 Tecumseh finding it's way into a couple of 654's from the factory.  Google did not say what the other 4 numbers stood for...just that the 1st one is the year.  If your horse was made in like 1974, it would be either a 1961 or a 1971.  You would have to guess which decade.  Here you do not have to do that...it is a 1961. The spec number tells a dealer what kind of parts are made for your horse to be in a Wheel Horse.  The H-60 means Horizontal crank shaft in a 6 hsp engine.  :orcs-cheers:

Edited by stevasaurus

squonk
4 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

A lot can happen in 60 years to a piece of equipment !

Especially with a Tecky! :)

stevasaurus

Well, here is one thing...Spec Numbers.  The factory 654 came with a  H-60 75063B.  Yours is not that, so your engines have been replaced...my guess.  If you know the history of your horses, you may want to share that information.  Your engines are not factory.  Still, that is the Spec # and has nothing to do with DOM.  Can you tell what that last character in the Spec Number is??  That will go a long way to identifying your engine.

squonk

Found this description on YT.

Beginning in 2004, Tecumseh began using 5-digits in their date codes. So the first two digits indicate the year of manufacture. For example 04282 means that the engine was built in 2004. For engines built prior to 2004, Tecumseh used 4-digit date codes, and it is only the first digit that tells you the year.

67 makes sense. The original Tecky probably blew up at some point and an owner not wanting to go thru a lot of work found a 67 engine and bolted it on 

• Like 1

squonk

Another thing. That engine could have been pieced together at some point, The shroud could have been from another engine entirely.

Gasaholic

Yup. DOM was 4 digit number , Sometimes followed by a letter (I.E. 7365j which would be 365'th day of a year ending in 7) We'd often get a clue of which decade it was made in based on the styling & tins, and the ignition systems (If it had electronic ignition and DOM starts with 7 it would be at least a 1987 model, for example)    So your engines, in any case, very likely were not original to your horses, Or, as Squonk pointed out as I wrote this, might be an original block but the tins robbed off something else, either way it would make for tricky parts lookups , even back when fixin' horses was my day job... I quickly learned to memorize part numbers just based on what part I was holding in my hand, didn't need a lookup then. 

• Like 2

mrmajestic01

Ok,thank

mrmajestic01

Can't win for loosing,they look correct, good as it gets