WHX??

Oiling Filters

Sailman
40 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I will give K&N credit, they are excellent at separating money from people and the hype of their air filters.  Their oil filters on the other hand, are rebadged Mobil 1 filters with a 1" hex nut tacked on the end for a much easier removal, and worth the few extra dollars.  

Does this discussion pertain only to the K&N "oiled" filters or does this apply to the paper air filters too? Been using the paper ones on my Harley's but want to make sure I am using something good.

RED-Z06
4 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Does this discussion pertain only to the K&N "oiled" filters or does this apply to the paper air filters too? Been using the paper ones on my Harley's but want to make sure I am using something good.

3 mainstream filter types, paper, oiled cotton, oiled foam.  Paper filters best, doesn't tolerate moisture, has to be replaced when clogged. Oiled cotton (Spectre and K&N) filter big stuff well, flow great, can pass through fine particulates.  Oiled Foam flows well, holds everything, lacks surface area so it clogs fast, doesn't seal well to housings so unfiltered air can bypass it 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bds1984
33 minutes ago, Sailman said:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over using a paper air filter on your Harleys.  I just have an issue with the oiled air filters, ie. K&N, et. al. when paper filters are better.  I don't like seeing people trash an engine over something as dumb as an air-filter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Good discussion gents learned a few things. :handgestures-thumbupright: