857lover

ark loader build

857lover

i have been building a loader from scratch for a long while now i have the sub frame done and everything but i don’t have any hydraulic hoses or a pump and i also need 4 new cylinders and i’m sure it is going to be crazy expensive to source all of it would you guys recommend this as a cheaper alternative ?? or has anyone done something like this before i just don’t want to waste my money on them if they aren’t going to do what i want them too 

IMG_6257.png

ebinmaine

Before Trina and I bought the Wally Digger Backhoe I was mulling this over for awhile.  

I've looked into linear actuators as the motion makers for a loader. 

Long story short, no. 

Unless you get into the ULTRA expensive and VERY high powered units they just won't work. 

They aren't made for the shock loads and dynamic weight changes a loader will take on.  

If someone else has different options or information I'd be very curious to see it. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Rick3478
45 minutes ago, 857lover said:

i have been building a loader from scratch for a long while now i have the sub frame done and everything but i don’t have any hydraulic hoses or a pump and i also need 4 new cylinders and i’m sure it is going to be crazy expensive to source all of it would you guys recommend this as a cheaper alternative ?? or has anyone done something like this before i just don’t want to waste my money on them if they aren’t going to do what i want them too 

IMG_6257.png

For the size, they are not as strong or powerful as a hydraulic cylinder.  The "ram" is hollow, with the drive screw running up inside it, better ones use a recirculating ball screw and nut.  There is no "feathering" to get fine control, it's either on or off, you can give it short bumps but it's not the same.  On the plus side, they don't develop messy hydraulic leaks.  They can be useful if properly sized to the job.  I used to work on satellite dishes that used these for positioners, and I think the DR power graders use something similar to adjust height.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Go to a hydraulic shop and tell them what you want to do. Everything depends on engine speed , pump RPM, pump capacity, how big the cylinders are and how fast you want it to go up, down, dump and curl. You can't just throw stuff at it and expect it to work right

• Excellent 1

857lover
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Go to a hydraulic shop and tell them what you want to do. Everything depends on engine speed , pump RPM, pump capacity, how big the cylinders are and how fast you want it to go up, down, dump and curl. You can't just throw stuff at it and expect it to work right

might have tooo

sjoemie himself

I agree with everything above plus you'll probably want something that moves a bit faster than a linear actuator.

Also you have to consider the duty cycle on the actuators. I've used a few on a paddock leveler and the duty cycle is not great, certainly not above 50% at maximum capacity. 

Edited by sjoemie himself

Sailman

I fabricated a "front end garden bucket" for my GT 14 and didn't want to deal with all the hydraulics. Definitely not the capacity of a true FEL but have been quite impressed with what it will do. Used just 1 super heavy duty linear actuator   https://www.servocity.com/4-stroke-1-010-lb-thrust-super-duty-linear-actuator/ rated at 1010 lbs, but it is not cheap. By the time you add the weight of the bucket its probably good for maybe 300# of lift. I have run a second set of wires to hook up to a marine deep cell battery for extra strength operating it, located in the box on the 3 pt. hitch with 6 solid cinder blocks for weight. Thinking of upgrading to the 1500# even though it will be slower. Have about $1000 in the total build which serves my purposes just fine. Time will tell how it holds up, am optimistic, but will say it again...it ain't no FEL.

IMG_3279.jpg

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

I have done three FEL machines and the like the 4 gpm pump and 1 1/2" or 2 inch cylinders. (1 1/2" cylinders are plenty big enough for these small machines) and control is good as far as speed goes

If you are belt driving the pump make sure you get one that is compatible to that arrangement. Most just have sleeves in the input shaft and the belt drive requires a bearing.

Relief setting at about 1000 psi. it keeps from lifting to much. I set the relief so as the rear of the machine is not coming off the ground with about 400 in the bucket and 400 counter weight on the rear.  Wheel weights are ok and help but an over hung weight box in the rear is the best. 

The surplus center is a good place to shop for hydraulic stuff. I have found some deals on the bay and Amazon. 

Hosing, I prefer JIC ends, they are inexpensive and do allow for a nice neat job. #4 for the cylinders and #8 for main pressure and return. 

• Like 1