leeave96

Onan to Kohler 520H

leeave96

Anyone change a bad Onan to a single cylinder Kohler K or Magnum engine?

What kind of a job was it - gravey or just scrap the tractor and find anither one - LOL?

• Like 2

ebinmaine

A. NEVER scrap a tractor. Please part it out instead. 

The 520H front axle and steering is valuable. 

B. I believe a Magnum engine will have a similar wiring setup. 

I know it's been done by more than a few folks over the years.  

• Like 3

Handy Don

Depending on what you are asking the tractor to do (i.e. how much power you really need) a “bad” Onan to K swap should be straightforward--both are battery coil engines. Some physical stuff might need small tweaks, like engine mounting, wiring hookups, throttle & choke cables, and fuel line. 

• Like 1

953 nut

Engines are bolted to the frame or a steel plate bolted to the frame. If you own a drill the sap should be easy to accomplish. If both engines have battery powered ignition the electrical hook up should be easy enough. If the replacement engine has a magneto ignition then a kill relay will need to be added, the thread below will give you the needed information.

The nine pin connector is an Onan thing and all you need to remember is the wires to the nine pin are color coded and can be run to the appropriate places on the replacement engine. Light blue to Solenoid,  Orange/yellow to ignition coil,  Red to voltage regulator B+ terminal, and Black wirer to ground on the engine. The gray wire will not be used because you don't have a tachometer hook-up and the dark blue wire won't be used because you won't have an oil pressure sender.

• Excellent 1

leeave96

Thanks for the replies everyone - much appreciated!