daveoman1966

ENGINE SWAP... 416-8 to a C-160

daveoman1966

The K341s in my '75 C-160 Auto has gradually morphed into a 'cloud maker'.  Have located a Kohler M16 from a 416-8 that runs 'cloud-free' but looks like quite different wiring setup. QUESTIONS: (1) Has anyone made such a swap? (2) What wiring changes are needed to put the M16 in place of my K341s engine? (3) Will the M16 fit the frame of my C-160 w/out frame drilling? (4) Will the M16 fit under the C-160 hood---or will I have some hood-choppin' to do?

Any help really appreciated....

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I can't speak for the exact details Dave, but what about changing the Magnum over to a K series. 

I understand it can be done fairly easily. 

• Like 2

ri702bill

Not done one, but the M series has a magneto, will require that style ignition switch.

• Like 2

squonk

Cranking circuit is the same no matter what. You activate a solenoid to engage the starter. IGN. is magneto so you need a kill wire to a grounding switch. Where it gets tricky it depends on the charging system the engine you're using has under the flywheel. 

• Like 3

midpack

I did a K Kohler to a Magnum swap a few years ago. If you use a relay you don't have to do any major wiring changes. I found the instructions on this site

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Here is a thread I did for the K to M swap wiring. It is very easy to do and will cost a lot less than a new ignition switch.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1