theharvdog

C85 throttle cable

theharvdog

Hello everyone,

I have a 1982 C85 that I just picked up. Looks like they knew how to build tractors!

The throttle cable is shot. Does anyone know where I can purchase one?

Please let me know

Thanks for your time

Harvdog

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: and yes they did know how to build tractors!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

peter lena

@theharvdog  now you are getting personal ! have my original C-85  bought new in 82 , still my favorite , get some super lube , small bottle / hardware store , get that into the slide of that new cable , also pick up a Copple  of cable clamps , to enhance mounting areas . very important to lay the cable , WHERE  IT, WANTS TO BE, the easier it moves , the easier it works .   https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=asc_df_B000UKUHXK/?tag=hyprod-  , welcome to the site , Pete

theharvdog

Thanks for the welcome! And the info :)

So the problem is the previous owner "tried to fix it" and mutilated the end of the cable.

Looking for help finding a New cable

Thanks

Gary

peter lena

@theharvdog https://www.ebay.com/itm/385854189380?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28  , might use this as a base line for relation to your issue , and go from there , if its only the end , angle bend spot , you might even clip off the damage and  needle nose plyers , bend in a cable fix , pete

peter lena

@theharvdog   pete

theharvdog

Hey Peter,

Bought the cables off ebay, thanks. It works with some super lube. 

It runs pretty good but the starter is making ALOT of noise..

Any ideas where to find a starter??

Thanks peter

Gary

peter lena

@theharvdog  when you say lots of noise , there are a few possible outside areas , have used a  graphite , dry lube on the  starter slide gear area , look on this site for  a starter  with one of the vendors . might be a quick  fix or  replacement , pete

theharvdog

Hey Peter, 

Your link didn't make it with your message? 

I didn't mention before but I am a master auto tech, just have never wanted to work on small engines before.

The noise reminds me of a diesel starter.. Not grinding per say, but whining loud.

Thinking bearings.. If I could get a rebuild kit that would be great.

Thanks again for your help

Gary

oliver2-44

There is a thread on here about rebuilding these starters by @stevasaurus They are not difficult to repair. I bought a rebuild kit from DB Electric. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

This thread has lots of info.  They are very rebuildable unless the magnet inside has let loose and got broken up.

If you do decide to buy a new one be sure you count the number of teeth on your starter and get one with the same number.

Look for one sold by DB Electric on Amazon or Ebay.