ruskimaster

Mule Drive Belt Not Fitting Wheel Horse 314-8

ruskimaster

Hey all,

While mowing yesterday the belt that was attached to the mowing deck broke and I had to replace it.

I looked at my model number 73402 online to find out the parts needed and I found that for the Mule Drive belt I needed a 93-9808 V-Belt replacement based on these diagrams:

https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails?id=19224

image.png.2f429148878db27b42485fd11b82e388.png

When trying to install it (which doesn't seem like a hard process at all), it feels like the belt is just too short to get around the mowing deck, mule drive, and V-Pulley. Has anyone had this problem? I'm probably 5+inches from being able to even try and get the belt around the v-pulley... Is the part incorrect or have you guys used something else as the belt? 

Attached are the few pictures of my tractor, any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

RM

IMG-20210829-WA0008.jpg

20230828_195315.jpg

20230828_195341.jpg

76c12091520h

When looking up deck parts, you need to use the model # from the deck , not the #73402 found on the tractor.   93-9808 is the part # for the drive belt for your tractor's transmission. The part # you need for your mower deck mule drive is #94-2501 if it's a 42" or 48" side discharge, #108834 is for a 42" rear , & #102741 is ( I believe ,  off the top of my head )  the correct belt for a 36" rear. Also keep in mind that the mule drive belt goes on the inner of the 2 grooves on the PTO pulley.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ruskimaster

Honestly after scouring the forums here I realized that. I do in fact have a 36" mower deck and it is the 102741 belt! Thank you so much for responding. I was having a really tough time since I'm new to the Wheel Horse crew. Thank you so much for your insight!

ineedanother
18 minutes ago, ruskimaster said:

Honestly after scouring the forums here I realized that. 

That 314 is a great machine and this is the forum that should be your go-to for info. Lots of good folks here to help. :wh:

ri702bill

The belt is not on correctly in this picture -  2 reasons. First, you have the belt on the outer groove of the PTO. It WILL work that way, but reduces your blade speed. Move it to the larger inboard one. More important, the portion of the belt on the bottom side of the PTO goes forward to the flat outer idler on the mule drive. Then the cover and the retainibg nut.

Bill

20230828_195315.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

The belt is not on correctly in this picture -  2 reasons. First, you have the belt on the outer groove of the PTO. It WILL work that way, but reduces your blade speed. Move it to the larger inboard one. More important, the portion of the belt on the bottom side of the PTO goes forward to the flat outer idler on the mule drive. Then the cover and the retainibg nut.

Bill

Since the PTO linkage isn't even connected, I would bet that he knows to route the belt as required.  Not sure why he used a photo of the incomplete job.

• Like 1

peter lena

@ruskimaster https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=561004444&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&q=pto+belt+routing++wheel+horse&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=H2eHX4DmmIKBXM%2Cfa7a0X3anVVG8M%2C_%3BuVbMqJZSTiishM%2Ckt4Wq9_8_h2klM%2C_%3BbH94oNXRA-  good related pictures here , while you are in the area , after final belt set up , try moving that belt by hand against that deck , movement , is it easy ?  rough , binding at all ?  the collective " movement areas " are often in need of service , worth a total look see , pete

• Like 1

davem1111

I thought I'd add that in my experience with these (not as long as many here), I have never been able to put the PTO-to-deck belt on with the deck attached, even with the mule cranked all the way back.  I would attach the belt before locking the deck into the Attach-A-Matic and lift arm, when the deck can be moved forward some. Then pull the deck back and mount it. And make sure the little "fork" on the bar that goes up into the Attach-A-Matic is over the bar that runs across it.  After that use the knob on the mule to get proper tension on the belt. 

image.png.85efbfd3c716581be085d93015ad65a8.png

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 1

Rick3478
19 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I thought I'd add that in my experience with these (not as long as many here), I have never been able to put the PTO-to-deck belt on with the deck attached, even with the mule cranked all the way back.  I would attach the belt before locking the deck into the Attach-A-Matic and lift arm, when the deck can be moved forward some. Then pull the deck back and mount it. And make sure the little "fork" on the bar that goes up into the Attach-A-Matic is over the bar that runs across it.  After that use the knob on the mule to get proper tension on the belt. 

I've not had that problem, but think it might be easier for you to slide the outer (flat) idler off the mule drive shaft and put it on last, under the belt.

ruskimaster

Thank you so much everyone, I'm so thankful for how many folks still have and take care of the wheel horse! I figured out the orientation, in the above picture the belt came off the second pulley, so no worries I got that down! 76c12091520h was right in the fact I didn't have the right belt, I was looking at the mower diagram vs. the mowing deck diagram. I appreciate all the time you spent sending me the pictures/diagrams of the PTO mounting, this is extremely helpful and I will keep in mind what you guys have mentioned. I ordered the part should come in tomorrow and it should be a breeze!

While I have you folks, I inherited this tractor when I purchased my property (so I have a lot to learn about it), anything I should know of about the 314-8 or any upgrades I should implement to keep it going smoothly? - I don't know the rules about this forum so if I should make another post and consider this post "solved/closed" let me know.

Thanks,

Raphael 

Edited by ruskimaster