Sparky

Hearing loss prevention

squonk

We have to have hearing tests every year at work as well as chemical mask fit tests. I just passed the hearing test. They won't get me a Groucho Marx mask for the chemicals! :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Handy Don

Normally I use a shooter ear protection headset but recently I tried using my noise cancelling over-the-ear headphones with tunes from my phone via bluetooth. They work surprisingly well but I do have to resist the temptation to sing along at top of my lungs! :hide:

Edited by Handy Don
  • Haha 3

ri702bill

WHAT????? The last year my wife was alive, her hearing was starting to go - but she would not admit it..... she would ask "what??" and I finally told her that was my line for the last 10 years - get your own.:o

I use the same type of earmuffs - has an input jack - handy to share a scanner at a NASCAR race.

OH - DO NOT get then wet...... trashed a set years ago plowing snow and it changed to rain.

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk
32 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I use the same type of earmuffs - has an input jack - handy to share a scanner at a NASCAR race.

Mowing in 3rd gear probably too. How did the lawn look after you are done? :lol:

I learned in college. Do not drive on the NYS Thruway whilst listening to the Daytona 500 ! :shock: :helmet:

• Haha 4

JCM
53 minutes ago, squonk said:

. They won't get me a Groucho Marx mask for the chemicals! :(

:ROTF:  One or my favorite sayings from Groucho was, I have good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it. CLASSIC

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 6

JCM

I hear ya Mike, no pun intended. Having worked in Industrial settings through out my career I can't hear the Brook near the cabin that is only 80' away from the screened porch. If I cup both my hands and put them behind my ears it is magnified quite a bit, sad. The purpose of building that close to water is to be able to sit on the porch and listen to it flowing by.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Sparky
6 minutes ago, JCM said:

I hear ya Mike, no pun intended. Having worked in Industrial settings through out my career I can't hear the Brook near the cabin that is only 80' away from the screened porch. If I cup both my hands and put them behind my ears it is magnified quite a bit, sad. The purpose of building that close to water is to be able to sit on the porch and listen to it flowing by.

Same! Years of construction and tractors and motorcycles and loud music etc…have probably taken some of my hearing. I’m hoping I can stop the deterioration or at least slow it down.
 My wife’s father has lost most of his hearing and I know when we are all together he doesn’t hear any of the conversations, kinda sad. Hoping that’s not me when I’m old. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

pacer
6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Same! Years of construction and tractors and motorcycles and loud music etc…have probably taken some of my hearing. I’m hoping I can stop the deterioration or at least slow it down.
 My wife’s father has lost most of his hearing and I know when we are all together he doesn’t hear any of the conversations, kinda sad. Hoping that’s not me when I’m old. 

Yep!!  very similar here, my greatest loss was very likely working for Delta air for 33yrs --- when I started in '63 we had props and while they were pretty loud, when the jets started bout 5-6 yrs later, management didnt even mention ear protection for 3-4 yrs and then didnt really stress them. Mgmt finally got with it and offered both "micky mouse" protectors and plugs.

That and most of your other listings have me with $5000 aids that are......,well, believe me they aint like the real thing!!

• Like 4

Pullstart
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Normally I use a shooter ear protection headset but recently I tried using my noise cancelling over-the-ear headphones with tunes from my phone via bluetooth. They work surprisingly well but I do have to resist the temptation to sing along at top of my lungs! :hide:

I use my noice cancelling blue tooth ear phones as often as I can while mowing… and I DO sing at the top of my lungs!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

Standard issue noise reduction ear muffs for me... no music. I want to hear the engine / motor...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 5

John2189

I use bose noise canceling headphones and listen to music from my iPhone with the sound set at 85 decibels. I can hear the music and the mower

• Like 1

Stormin

EH! WHAT YOU LOT ON ABOUT?  

• Haha 3

953 nut
On 8/20/2023 at 12:48 PM, Sparky said:

According to my wife I don’t hear well (make what ya want outa that comment :lol:).

I have selective hearing also!                              image.jpeg.adab72eccd9a8f22f3cab27e2bc46561.jpeg

• Haha 4