ebinmaine

Granberg Chainsaw File Guide. Two thumbs up.

ebinmaine

A few weeks ago I ordered a Granberg G106B chainsaw sharpening jig. 

1430095777_Screenshot_20230820-0630112.png.19d09b7a38d6092cf8692dbd17bf82ac.png

Yesterday was the first chance to put it to use. 

I'm impressed. 

We process 4 or 5 cord of firewood annually here so the right tool is important but we don't get the practiced touch  of vast experience with sharpening by hand. 

I can do... Ok...

I've tried a couple powered sharpeners. Both still depend on the user to create and hold a constant perfect angle. 

I may not want to admit it but I just don't have that kind of repeatable muscle control.  

I did better with hand filing but of course that's a science by itself if you want it done well. 

I needed a machine or jig that would hold its own preset angles.  

I wanted a non powered one just in case I needed it in the forest when there's no power source around. 

The Granberg here:

https://www.granberg.com/product/g106b-file-n-joint-low-profile/  was invented over 60 years ago with nearly no changes according to the interwebs. I figured if it's been around that long maybe it works ok. 

Once it's out of the box and set up it takes just a couple to set it on the saw bar. 

Another 2 to 3 minutes for a quick and very accurate touch up of the chain and off ya go to cutting again. 

If you've ever once thought about buying something similar to this .. get one. 

I was very impressed with the difference in the chain consistency. Trina made one small cut. That was enough to convince her. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Been using one of those for years now. Totally agree with ease of operation and repeatability of results. Get tempted now and then with latest greatest "new" gadget but have stuck with the Granberg.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

Get tempted now and then with latest greatest "new" gadget but have stuck with the Granberg.

I kinda did that in reverse order. 

I tried the others first. 

I believe this one will serve us well.  

• Like 2

lynnmor

I use this type of Homelite filer that serves me well, I do need to watch the lines to keep the angle correct.

I also dress the rakers ever time the saw is sharpened, keeping the depth of cut correct is a big factor in cutting efficiency.  

To file the rakers this is the type I use:

New_27742_05.jpg.8346bacfd427de9beed59636089be55d.jpgs-l1600.png.e609e6adfd7b54a3012f8c0b8fdfc9bc.png

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 4

tunahead72

Thanks for the review, Eric. :thanks:

I considered their 12V grinder a while back, the G1012XT, but never did get one.  Was that one of the ones you tried?

I've been sharpening my own chains for years now, with an occasional visit to a "professional" when things get out of whack.  I'm currently using a Stihl file guide, which works okay for my purposes.  But after all these years I still feel like I'm a hack at getting everything right, never really sure I'm seeing the angles correctly.  Something that clamps to the bar seems to be the best way to go for consistently excellent results.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Have used the Granberg for years but only the feature that controls the depth the round file is in the tooth. Most chain manufacturers specify 1/5 of the file above the tooth leaving 4/5 of the file diameter in the tooth.

A 7/32" file is .219" diameter so 4/5 is .175" the distance the file should be down into the tooth. Each number on the adjustment nut is approximately .010". Kiss the top of the tooth with the bottom of the file and then lower the file 17.5 numbers.

The result is a chain that cuts really well and lasts longer between sharpening. I don't see any other way to to get the ideal tooth angle using a round file.

Have drawn the setup to a very large scale and the 1/5 file above the tooth is spot on.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I also dress the rakers ever time the saw is sharpened, keeping the depth of cut correct is a big factor in cutting efficiency.  

To file the rakers this is the type I use:

New_27742_05.jpg.8346bacfd427de9beed59636089be55d.jpg

Good point and same here. Likely I'll keep using that for keeping the rakes down. 

15 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Thanks for the review, Eric. :thanks:

I considered their 12V grinder a while back, the G1012XT, but never did get one.  Was that one of the ones you tried?

No sir. I tried the powered one they sell but you still have to keep the angles. ..and I wasn't happy with it/me.  

15 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

I've been sharpening my own chains for years now, with an occasional visit to a "professional" when things get out of whack.  I'm currently using a Stihl file guide, which works okay for my purposes.  But after all these years I still feel like I'm a hack at getting everything right, never really sure I'm seeing the angles correctly.  Something that clamps to the bar seems to be the best way to go for consistently excellent results.

That's exactly why I bought the Granberg.  

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Have used the Granberg for years but only the feature that controls the depth the round file is in the tooth. Most chain manufacturers specify 1/5 of the file above the tooth leaving 4/5 of the file diameter in the tooth.

A 7/32" file is .219" diameter so 4/5 is .175" the distance the file should be down into the tooth. Each number on the adjustment nut is approximately .010". Kiss the top of the tooth with the bottom of the file and then lower the file 17.5 numbers.

The result is a chain that cuts really well and lasts longer between sharpening. I don't see any other way to to get the ideal tooth angle using a round file.

Have drawn the setup to a very large scale and the 1/5 file above the tooth is spot on.

That was the same recommendation by the YouTube video I saved for reference.  

Works excellent.  

• Like 2

Handy Don

I don’t have one of these but I’ve tried a borrowed one and liked it. The brackets that firmly grip and steady the chain link being filed are the real secret to its success, in my opinion. All the other “on the saw” sharpeners I’ve seen rely on the bar slot which always has a bit of play.

• Like 3