oliver2-44

Take Care of your Feet

oliver2-44

About 2 weeks ago I started getting a sore are on the side/bottom of my right foot. Then about a week ago it turned into a small open sore and I started putting antibiotic ointment on it.  In a few more days I notice the rest of my foot looking a little swollen. A trip to the Dr and antibiotics and he recommended I have a Podiatrist look at it. So at the Podiatrist she said lets take an Xray of that since you don't know how you bruised it.  Then she said there's something in there.  She shaved layers off the thick callous on the side of my foot and found this.

1637417226_IMG_99291.JPG.a0284fb47ccfddaf4170e123af2a15a2.JPG 

It's a piece of wire from a grinder wire wheel.  It was stuck parallel to my foot and worked its way through the callous and caused the sore when it hit flesh.

This type of sore in your feet turns into an ulcer, that just keeps getting bigger if left untreated.

She dug it out with out any local deadening. I wonder if my wife told her to punish me if it was something dumb!

I don't know how or when it got there?  A few days ago I posted this question. 

I wonder if it got in my shoe and gradually worked its way in? 

No, I don't wear flip flops in the shop, leather work shoes for me.

Thankfully the red infection is looking a lot better after a few days of antibiotic and the wire gone.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 8

peter lena

@oliver2-44 can definetly relate to metal , wire, slag  , etc  in skin . did a lot of that back in the day , was always finding bits of wire ends thru clothing , just starting to work its way into skin . regularly used the tripple antibiotic , sauve , to correct  skin irritations , gave a tube to a guide , later contacted me for the use / efectiveness  on scratches,  been thare done that , pete 

• Like 1

953 nut
23 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

layers off the thick callous on the side of my foot

A couple years back I had a terrible pain in my heel. Went to the hobble-in-clinic and as it turns out the callous layer on the heel had gotten so thick it had a large crack in it that was about 1/4" deep. Since then I have had the Podiatrist shave my heels once a year and no further problems.

• Like 1

Pullstart

It’s amazing how far into the skin those wires get!  I had one a year or two ago run through my jeans and into my thigh.  It was in my leg for a couple days before I found it barely sticking out.  

It’s pretty awesome how the body rejects foreign objects.  I remember once my cousin somehow had wooden splinters in his arm.  They were “all” removed surgically.  Months if not a year later, he got a big growth on his arm opposite the wound.  It was a splinter that had run through his entire muscle and was being pushed out from inside.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Handy Don

2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

a splinter that had run through his entire muscle and was being pushed out from inside

🥶

• Haha 1

953 nut
49 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I remember once my cousin somehow had wooden splinters in his arm.

So injuries like this are a genetic family trait that you have inherited?       

• Haha 5

Pullstart
Just now, 953 nut said:

So injuries like this are a genetic family trait that you have inherited?       

We should change our surname to Regerts :lol:  Long line of wild here!

• Haha 3

8ntruck

Over the year's, I've picked up a few small silvers of tool steel in my fingers.  Could feel them, but could not get a hold of them to pull them out.

Most of them worked their way out in time.  I've still got one in my wrist  that is maybe 3/32" long.  Been there for years, a small black shadow just under the skin.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

she said there's something in there.

Reminds me of the day I visited my local female barber.

It takes her about 43 seconds to trim my bald head and another five minutes to trim my eyebrows, nose, and ears.    

She was working on my left ear when the clippers made a strange noise and she screamed,  there's something in there.

The clippers had hit a wire that was sticking out both sides of my ear lobe.   She refused to touch it, but there was a fishing buddy waiting his turn and he pulled it out for me.

I had been running a wire wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder the day before.

Keep those safety goggles in place.

• Like 7

squonk

Friend of mine races go karts. He was running at Daytona and the chain broke and went into his leg. Doctors thought they got it all. but in a few months his leg started hurting. A  chunk was still in there and had moved towards the surface. he had to wait to get the infection down so they could get it out. you could see the outline of it through his skin. :shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

JoeM
20 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

small silvers of tool steel in my fingers

That is my problem, especially when using a burr.

I just pulled a sliver out of the top of my ring finger yesterday that finally surfaced. 

16 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Reminds me of the day I visited my local female barber.

Do you have to get an estimate first? Could be a difficult job. 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Not sure if Iver posted this before, but its a cautionary tale from your side of the pond. DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE OF A VERVOUS DISPOSITION. 

One morning I was called to the emergency room by the head ER nurse. She directed me to a patient who had refused to describe his problem other than to say that he “needed a doctor who took care of men’s troubles.” The patient, about 40, was pale, febrile, and obviously uncomfortable, and had little to say as he gingerly opened his trousers to expose a bit of angry red and black-and-blue scrotal skin.After I asked the nurse to leave us, the patient permitted me to remove his trousers, shorts, and two or three yards of foul-smelling stained gauze wrapped about his scrotum, which was swollen to twice the size of a grapefruit and extremely tender. A jagged zig-zag laceration, oozing pus and blood, extended down the left scrotum.Amid the matted hair, edematous skin, and various exudates, I saw some half-buried dark linear objects and asked the patient what they were. Several days earlier, he replied, he had injured himself in the machine shop where he worked, and had closed the laceration himself with a heavy-duty stapling gun. The dark objects were one-inch staples of the type used in putting up wallboard.

We x-rayed the patient’s scrotum to locate the staples; admitted him to the hospital; and gave him tetanus antitoxin, broad-spectrum antibacterial therapy, and hexachlorophene sitz baths prior to surgery the next morning. The procedure consisted of exploration and debridement of the left side of the scrotal pouch. Eight rusty staples were retrieved, and the skin edges were trimmed and freshened. The left testis had been avulsed and was missing. The stump of the spermatic cord was recovered at the inguinal canal, debrided, and the vessels ligated properly, though not much of a hematoma was present. Through-and-through Penrose drains were sutured loosely in site, and the skin was loosely closed.

Convalescence was uneventful, and before his release from the hospital less than a week later, the patient confided the rest of his story to me. An unmarried loner, he usually didn’t leave the machine shop at lunchtime with his co-workers. Finding himself alone, he had begun the regular practice of masturbating by holding his penis against the canvas drive-belt of a large floor-based piece of running machinery. One day, as he approached orgasm, he lost his concentration and leaned too close to the belt. When his scrotum suddenly became caught between the pulley-wheel and the drive-belt, he was thrown into the air and landed a few feet away. Unaware that he had lost his left testis, and perhaps too stunned to feel much pain, he stapled the wound closed and resumed work. I can only assume he abandoned this method of self-gratification.

• Confused 5

davem1111

One emoji isn't enough when responding to a story like that...  :eusa-think::laughing-rofl::dunno::sad::angry-banghead::occasion-clown::banana-explosion:

• Haha 6

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

:scratchead::dunno::-o:occasion-clown::occasion-clown::ROTF:

• Haha 3

Wheel-N-It

@Mickwhitt , good story Sir but I think you broke Red Square  :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Horse Newbie

After my mom passed in 2014 I moved her two sisters, one of which was wheelchair bound, in with Libby and me.

Well, the wheelchair bound Aunt(Aunt Peggy) had had previous surgery to repair a broken shin bone.

One day while providing care for her I noticed a small bump on the leg…

doctor said nothing to be concerned about, especially at her age…

Well sometime later we had no choice but to seek residence for her in an assisted living facility.

I visited her quite regularly and noticed the bump getting bigger… still not alerted because she said it was not painful and no signs of infection or such.

One day I noticed whatever was causing the bump  was coming on out.

It was a surgical screw used when they put her broken leg bones back together years before. 
Well after the round head torx screw was protruding out far enough to see about 1/4 inch of the shaft, the assisted living facility manager decided to take her to the doc and let them have a look see.

I visited that afternoon after work and asked the facility director how things went…

She said the doctor had a look, walked over to his toolbox, grabbed a battery powered drill with a torx bit and screwed it the rest of the way out… no local anesthesia, nothing…easy peasey, Japanesey…

she didn’t feel a thing…

I would have crapped myself ! :laughing-rolling:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 2

Mickwhitt

Ouch!  Like we have been saying the body seeks to expel stuff that shouldn't be in there. A torx screw eh? Better than a cross point as the surgeons would be arguing over using a Philips or Posidrive bit

• Haha 3

davem1111
16 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

She said the doctor had a look, walked over to his toolbox, grabbed a battery powered drill with a torx bit and screwed it the rest of the way out…

Another funny thing about that is, that one screw probably cost more than his power drill... :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Handy Don
19 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

grabbed a battery powered drill with a torx bit and screwed it the rest of the way out

Hey, think of the alternative--screwing it back IN? 🥶😖

• Sad 1

Beap52

I learned about the time I was in 3rd grade not to sharpen your pencil, sit down at your desk and lay the pencil on your desk.  Especially if the desk sloped towards you because when said pencil rolls off, and you snap your legs closed to keep it from hitting the floor,  you may carry the newly sharpened lead in your leg to this day.

This past week I was fishing with brother-in-law.  I was focused on tying on a new lure.  He made a cast that went perpendicular to the direction he thought he was casting.  His lure hit my glasses and then hook stuck in my nose.  He had to remove the hood because I had no idea of which way to pull it. Fortunately it didn't embed the barb.

One of the things about attending preaching service on Sunday morning is it give a fellow a chance to dig our splinters and scrub fingers of caulking, glue and paint!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Moparfanforever

A friend's wife was barefoot and stepped on a toothpick, the round kind,and it almost went all the way in,but a small piece was sticking out. 

She screamed, husband came and said I can get a pair of pliers and pull it out. She screamed, take me to the ER !!

Got to the ER,doctor looked at it, grabbed some kind of medical instrument that looked like a pair of pliers, and grabbed the piece sticking out and jerked it out. 

My friend told his wife, see, I could have gotten it with a pair of pliers!!

That is his story and he is sticking to it. 

• Like 1