S416-8

No sign of life after heavy rain

S416-8

I had to leave the 520 outside last night and we had some heavy rain now I went out to start it to pull it back into the garage and there is no sign of life at all. Turn the key and nothing no lights, no clicks nothing. Checked the battery and it is fully charged. Wasn't giving me any issue after the re-do so I am sure that something got wet that will need attention but not sure where to start.. thinking bad relay or something..

Forgot to add, that I did check for power at each of the fuses and there was nothing there either with the switch on.

any ideas?  Thanks 

Edited by S416-8
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Dry it out...

Blow it out...

Sunshine...

Try again...

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

JCM

Had the same problem roughly 20 years ago with one of my 520's. I washed the tractor and had a no start issue afterwards. Check the 9 pin connector. fuse holder and relays near the battery. Try compressed air to dry out anything that water may have entered. After that I always covered from the dash to the front of the engine with plastic sheating to keep the area dry while washing. Still to this day I use plastic on all my tractors while washing them with zero issues.    Good luck

img20200729_18431879.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Yup. Check the 9 pin. Those bullet pins are terrible.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It
46 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Dry it out...

Blow it out...

Sunshine...

Try again...

Then repeat.

• Like 6

lynnmor

Perhaps the ignition switch is defective.  The rain is not the problem, any connection that is in good connection will not give you a total failure from water.

• Like 1

S416-8

thanks for all the tips and after I posted this I started making a list which covered most of the above.. thanks for the steps and one lesson learned is not to leave it outside for a night again..

• Like 5

JoeM

leaf blower work great for drying them off.

a shot or two of WD in the ignition sw might help

• Like 2

953 nut
14 hours ago, S416-8 said:

Forgot to add, that I did check for power at each of the fuses and there was nothing there either with the switch on.

Some of your fuses are not powered from the ignition switch, they come directly from the battery. My first thought is a poor connection from the battery to ground or from the battery to the large terminal on the solenoid.

794260404_1electrical.jpg.ae80409873b82d9fb3cda0bda4067597.jpg

• Excellent 2

S416-8

Just seperated and blew out the 9-pin and all is good. In the garage again waiting for it to stop raining so I can clean, again cause I did everyone while waiting for the engine, dielectric grease connectors in hope to stop any water from getting there and then not take up it's parking space with the table saw and leave it outside.

thanks everyone..  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

rick

I have plans to update the 9 wire connection to Deutsch connectors and at the same time reroute the red wire as described in other posts on the forum.

• Like 1

S416-8

well tomorrows the day to pull the battery and battery tray so I can get at all the connectors and get them cleaned and add a dab of dielectric to everything yo help keep the water out. Ever since that rain issue I have it surging at low RPMs or after its run for a bit.. 

Then I need to determine why it is charging at 17.1.. seen a bunch of post on this so got some research to do

lynnmor

Only a defective or improperly grounded regulator will allow 17.1 volts.

• Like 2

S416-8

Thanks.. going to replace the regulator because it just a bit beat and we planning to anyway. Then I found that I have the dreaded 9-pin issue which I think is the issue with surging. had it running and moved that wiring for the 9-pin and the surging went away. Went to move it and then it came back and then all together died. So, other parts to get...  

S416-8

Order the new 9 pin with the tool from Wheel Horse Parts and More but can't find the regulator. See a ton of cheaper ones on Amazon and eBay but no idea if they are crap or will work. Anyone had a good place for me to grab one?

lynnmor
2 hours ago, S416-8 said:

Order the new 9 pin with the tool from Wheel Horse Parts and More but can't find the regulator. See a ton of cheaper ones on Amazon and eBay but no idea if they are crap or will work. Anyone had a good place for me to grab one?

Buy one of the crap ton and be done with it.  I have used them with no issue.

• Like 2

S416-8

So new 9-pin is on, tractor tested and ran with the grader last night and all seems good so far.. know more after I have more time using it