Matkal

Electric fuel pump choices

Matkal

I’m considering one of these two because I’m all about saving a few bucks especially with gas at $4 a gallon 🤬 Any advantages or disadvantages?

29B6067A-67A4-46A1-BEFC-8EC580ADE719.jpeg

EF10F065-188D-4286-9105-4DB4BE7A87A4.jpeg

• Like 1

RED-Z06

The vane style (first) have never worked long for me and seem to be the most apt to blow past the seat.  The solenoid style (2nd) is kinda noisy but seems more reliable and not quite as forceful...i setup a generator cart with a 13g boat tank last year and it has the 2nd style, its performed well so far on the 13hp Honda.

I did just buy a pump like came factory on my Exmark Z, its similar to the 2nd one and seems to have been designed for this use..i want to put it on my Toro Z mower.

Screenshot_20230812_114819_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

@Matkal   that first carbole on your ask advise , is the deal , have 2 of them in use, very quiet / reliable / self monorting  , very good price , the other tin can type are junk . get the low pressure model , I also a added a single LED light on the dash that comes on with the key , on start , to verify pump is on . CAR BOLE IS THE ONE YOU WANT , my advise / experience , pete 

• Like 2

peter lena

@Matkal  tried the lighter can type , both failed , had a single LED  green dash light , drilled a single hole , wired it up to start / run on key switch , while running  in use the green light is on , just above key switch . not nesasary  ,  but liked the assurance of  function . would also drop carb bowl , clean out the debris , fresh fuel filter , anything else , just ask . pete 

• Like 1

Skwerl58

I have a Carbole and it seems fine.  I bought it because of recommendations from users on this site.  I would buy it again.

• Like 3

squonk

The Carbole pump is the same as the Facet which is the same as Napa 610-1051. Other companies Mr. Gasket for example sell it. One company makes it and puts the different labels on them to each seller. They work well on a horse. I got 2 of them on currently.

Those round metal pumps , throw in the circular file cabinet! :handgestures-thumbdown:

• Like 3

Matkal

I’m gonna go middle of the road and order the Carbole. 

Is a relay necessary?

Edited by Matkal
  • Like 1

RED-Z06

Surprised to hear yall have had any issues with the solenoid type pumps, considering its the type used by many OEMs that go thousands of hours.  My vane type pumps, under 3 hours both failed, one had dumped plastic stuff into my fuel system before locking up; the other worked a few times them started blowing the inline fuse.  Went to the clicker solenoid pumps and huge difference.  That said ive never really had any problems with the stock diaphragm pumps

squonk
54 minutes ago, Matkal said:

Is a relay necessary?

It isn't necessary. But I use one because I don't want any more amps flowing thru the Indak style ignition switches then necessary. The switch contacts aren't the greatest. 

Those round metal pumps. There was a vendor selling a bin full of them for $5 a piece at our steam show.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Matkal
29 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Surprised to hear yall have had any issues with the solenoid type pumps, considering its the type used by many OEMs that go thousands of hours.  My vane type pumps, under 3 hours both failed, one had dumped plastic stuff into my fuel system before locking up; the other worked a few times them started blowing the inline fuse.  Went to the clicker solenoid pumps and huge difference.  That said ive never really had any problems with the stock diaphragm pumps

I think that with made in China products it's hit and miss, either it fails right away or lasts a decent amount of time IMO

Bill D

I've been converting all my equipment to impulse pumps.  Here's one on my KT 17.

30715.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

Another vote for the Carbole one, After 3 fails on the other type made me a believer....

• Like 2

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, Bill D said:

I've been converting all my equipment to impulse pumps.  Here's one on my KT 17.

30715.jpeg

Most of my stuff runs impulse or the kohler mechanicals, really do like them and usually go 15-20 years between replacing them.  My Toro Z has a weird setup where the 2 6gal tanks are completely below the carb, and the tanks are balanced...in that they share a cross feed hose which Tee's off to the pump, so its feeding off both tanks all the time with no valve and no reserve.  The impulse pump which is factory 2005 as far as i know, had gas at the carb from bone dry in about 6 seconds of cranking...hard to beat that.

davem1111
3 hours ago, Matkal said:

Is a relay necessary?

I've installed these on 2 different tractors, when the stock diaphragm pumps died. No relay. All I did was identify a wire that was "hot" from the back of the ignition switch when the key was on, and not when it was off. Tapped into that wire for the pump feed (with a fuse in-line), and grounded it to a bolt nearby. The only thing you need to remember is to turn off the key when not running - usually you can hear the pump still running.  But as long as your carb float is working, they can't keep pumping gas into it, and they don't seem to burn out with a short run against that back pressure. If it was left running, it would probably just eventually kill the battery, not do anything else bad. I'm very happy with these. I wanted to go with a US-made one, but they cost 2-3 times as much, so I voted with my budget.

I've read that it's better to have these mounted closer to the tank for a "push", rather than near the carb for a "pull", but both of mine are near the carb and work fine that way.

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 1

Bill D

If you have a tractor with a powered ignition (K series, Onan) then wire the pump off the positive side of the coil.  If the safety switches are activated to shut the engine down it will shut the pump down.  A very good thing in the event of a roll over.  Others may chime in on the safest way to wire M series powered tractors.

• Like 4