TC10284

37" Side discharge tensioner

TC10284

I have a 37" Side discharge deck for 200 series (211-3). Is there a way to adjust the belt tensioner? Currently it doesn't move much. 

I tried loosening the bolt under the drive pulley but it wouldn't budge. Not sure if I should keep trying since it has a spring on it. 

Pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFc6oDrrAhGCNhkZ6

Pullstart

I don’t know a ton about that model, but it looks like the tensioner has a coil spring under it?  Have you tried to take it apart, clean and lube it well?  

• Like 1

peter lena

@TC10284  that deck is common to the rear bagger set up , pretty complicated  for its size / function .  agree with others on having an overall look . the newer idler pulley , showes intent , would look over EVERY ROTATIONAL FUNCTION POINT  ,  they are saposed to hand off belt drive rotation to the next  pulley , wich is usually bound up or rough in operation . would turn it over , verify what you have for movement , grass build up restriction ,  that belt tensioner is probably struggiling  against rust / build up , pulley issues . bet related parts are rust , grass bound in place .  expect numerious related issues ,  sold one of those  months ago , for parts ,pete

TC10284
48 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I don’t know a ton about that model, but it looks like the tensioner has a coil spring under it?  Have you tried to take it apart, clean and lube it well?  

Yes it has a coil spring under it. I did try to remove the bolt, but it would not budge. I could try an impact, but wasn't sure if I should.

• Like 1

TC10284
8 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@TC10284  that deck is common to the rear bagger set up , pretty complicated  for its size / function .  agree with others on having an overall look . the newer idler pulley , showes intent , would look over EVERY ROTATIONAL FUNCTION POINT  ,  they are saposed to hand off belt drive rotation to the next  pulley , wich is usually bound up or rough in operation . would turn it over , verify what you have for movement , grass build up restriction ,  that belt tensioner is probably struggiling  against rust / build up , pulley issues . bet related parts are rust , grass bound in place .  expect numerious related issues ,  sold one of those  months ago , for parts ,pete

The new idler was me. I put it on because it was missing. Original owner was probably having same issue I had of tensioner not working? 

TC10284
51 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

According to that parts tree diagram (which I should have looked at because I refer to it often...ugh), I need to get #26 out, and then get it freed up. 

TC10284

After removing the shoulder bolt from the spring tensioner, I have found that it is bent and need to be replaced. Although it looks like Toro 108176 is discontinued. 

Anyone know of a replacement? 

TC10284

Just wanted to follow up on this to see if anyone knew of a replacement shoulder bolt. 

oliver2-44

Try you local hardware store with all those grey drawers. I just saw shoulder bolts in them at my Ace while looking for other parts. 
Google it, Amazon might even have some. 

• Like 1

TC10284

I went to Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and a local Ace True Value Hardware store. None of them had what I needed, but the True Value store had a bolt, a bushing, and two washers that would have worked perfect, but the bushing was just ever so slightly too big. So I got to looking in my spare bots/nuts/washers bin and found everything I needed. The bushing was plastic and slightly too small, but I decided to try it anyway. Put some white lithium grease in it, then bolted it on. So far it is working well. The plastic bushing may not hold up long, but at least I know a way to get around needing this P/N. 

I think I'm going to need another one anyway, because I have another 200 series 37" SD deck that I don't think the tensioner is working.