ebinmaine

Where do you keep your shop supplies that can't freeze?

ebinmaine

At some point over the next few years our basement workshop is going to be converted to living space.

We will need to figure out a place to put things like spray paint or silicone. What else?

Where do you folks keep items like that during the winter?

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Basement workroom. Separate from other living areas and laundry...

• Like 4

squonk

Cellar and under the kitchen sink

• Like 3

WHX??

Heated shop.

• Like 4

cleat

I have a heated shop but I also have a unheated garage that is primarily for storage.

I can keep oils and spray paints in the unheated shop just latex paint I need to keep in the heated shop.

I also keep my cleaning supplies in the heated shop.

Batteries from stored cars and tractors are also kept in the heated shop.

If I did not have a heated shop then the few items that can freeze could be stored on a shelf in the basement.

• Like 4

davem1111

The last 2 winters, I've brought all my spray paints (in one big heavy-duty tote), all my latex paints, and some tractor or car batteries into the house and just piled it all in the corner of the den next to my desk. Pain in the butt. I've been toying with the idea of framing off an 8'x8' or so sized room in my garage, insulating it and running a space heater in there when it gets really cold, to store all that in. But since I'm probably moving in a year or 2, I am hesitant to invest the time and money into that. So, will probably do the same again this winter. Maybe in a neater fashion this time.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I keep all that in the basement in the winter time. Along with the batteries out of the trailer queens and the galaxie. If I were you I'd put a closet in the new basement for that stuff. Or you could be like @WHX?? and just keep your garage heated. I know we can't all be fancy pants like that :teasing-poke: :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 4

Pullstart

My shop is insulated enough, it seems to rarely ever freeze.  In the years we’ve been here, it’s only been below freezing there one time. 

• Like 2

WHX??

A well insulated closet out in the new shed EB. Heat it with a light bulb. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

I use an old metal upright kitchen cabinet, in the basement, away from the heating system and shop area. Temp gets to be about 50 degrees there in the dead of winter....

• Like 2

John2189
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

At some point over the next few years our basement workshop is going to be converted to living space.

We will need to figure out a place to put things like spray paint or silicone. What else?

I take my water based paint in the house. Don’t forget wood glue it will freeze too

• Like 3

rjg854
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

In a place where things won't freeze.  :teasing-neener:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

A well insulated closet out in the new shed EB. Heat it with a light bulb. 

Likely that's the way we'll go but with a wee wittle automatic heatererer.  

• Like 1

WHX??

Yep since they can't make incandescent bulbs anymore. 

At my cabin I have a pit for the water heater & well tank. A heat lamp with a backup wired to a line voltage thermostat. Winter all the soda water beer & stuff goes down there. Never any issues...:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

My “tractor and machine shop” is an unheated , uninsulated shed. I keep all pesticides , herbicides, most spray paint cans and small paint cans there. They are placed within several of those styrofoam coolers one gets when stuff like meat is delivered. Nothing has ever frozen in them including a spray bottle with soapy water. 

Edited by formariz
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

My “tractor and machine shop” is an unheated shed. I keep all pesticides , herbicides, most spray paint cans and small paint cans there. They are placed within several of those styrofoam coolers one gets when stuff like meat is delivered. Nothing has ever frozen in them including a spray bottle with soapy water. 

A cooler is another idea I'd had. 

How often does your daily temperature stay below freezing for several days at a time?

That's the season that prompts my heated storage needs. 

• Like 1

formariz
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

How often does your daily temperature stay below freezing for several days at a time?

Most winters when it is below freezing outside it will be so in there also for weeks. I check them occasionally and also keep one of the old Radio Shack digital thermometers in there along with one inside shed( I have those things all over , I have an obsession with temperature and humidity specially in the wood shop). Usually it’s always about 10 degrees warmer in the cooler than inside shed. 

• Like 2

WHX??

I think you will find EB that your new barn will always be 10 degrees above what it is outside if the doors are kept shut.

Last winter it was -15 out and only zero in my warehouse. Mine isn't concreted tho that might make a difference. 

• Like 2

Lee1977

How about an old refrigerator or freezer with a heat tape inside. That should keep it a 40 degrees.

• Like 2

Sailman
12 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

How about an old refrigerator or freezer with a heat tape inside. That should keep it a 40 degrees.

:text-yeahthat: Another option to the heat tape would be a gun safe dehumidifier rod. Low heat and like the heat tape.... safe.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Bunch of good ideas here folks.  

squonk

Cheapie styro foam cooler works unless it gets way below freezing for long periods. A lot of refrigerators today don't have a lot of insulation as the condenser coils are built into the walls so they have to be able to release the " heat taken out of the box" If you have a fridge like that, don't stack crap on top of it or put stuff right against the sides

• Like 1