HorsePower58

RJ 58 Belt Guard

HorsePower58

Greetings WH enthusiasts. I've got a RJ58 I'm reviving. I have the original belt guard to go with it. I picked it up from the Tristate Tractor/Engine show in Portland, IN a couple years ago. So it was disassembled about that long ago, so my memory of how that beltguard was fitted on there so as to avoid shaft rubbing or belt interference is foggy. I do know there was enough of a variety of washer sizes and spacers between the engine/chassis and the guard to think it wasn't worth snapping a picture or remembering the configuration it came in. If someone happy with there setup could take a picture of the bolts and spacers between belt guard and engine and chassis to point me in the right direction - I would very grateful. It did come with a roller bearing thing that, judging by the original parts illustration, goes on the bolt that goes into the engine. I've had it on and off about 10 times with different spacers from tractor supply cut with a hacksaw to try and get the proper clearance - adding washers where needed - and still can't find a happy medium where it either doesn't rub on the engine drive shaft or a pulley or something. Pictures are welcome.

Thank you!!! :) 

wallfish

There's plenty of tolerance for the length of spacers for the belt guard. Just don't make them short where the guard touches the pulleys.

Yes, adjusting those belt guards can be challenging sometimes.

Loosen the engine mount bolts. Get it set in position on the engine first.

The position of the engine on the frame is another adjustment. Not typically slotted holes there but there is some adjustment just from the bolts and the holes so you have to use that adjustment too to get it positioned correctly for the trans pulley.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Thinking them spacers were 1-3/4" in length.

• Like 1

Pullstart
4 hours ago, wallfish said:

There's plenty of tolerance for the length of spacers for the belt guard. Just don't make them short where the guard touches the pulleys.

Yes, adjusting those belt guards can be challenging sometimes.

Loosen the engine mount bolts. Get it set in position on the engine first.

The position of the engine on the frame is another adjustment. Not typically slotted holes there but there is some adjustment just from the bolts and the holes so you have to use that adjustment too to get it positioned correctly for the trans pulley.

I must have been lucky, I bolted the engine down and tossed everything together and got it right the first time!

• Like 2