Sign in to follow this  
WellsTC

416-8 from 1988 with broken frame

WellsTC

I plan to take our 416-8 down to the frame soon because the rear of the frame is very broken. At the moment, the main drive belt is what holds the tractor together !

Either I have the frame welded or find a usable frame. => A new frame can apparently be purchased for $276.66 from www.shoptoro.com (plus S&H + tax)

Any thoughts / warnings that you-all would like to share ?

BTW; I recently joined this group looking for drive belt recommendations. The concensus I found is that the OEM belt is the way to go...

Thanks,

Tom (Union Mills, IN)

WHC-125

Tom, :thumbs2: this is a great site and you will get a alot of good information and help from members on here. If you didnt want to replace the frame which you dont really have to do unless it is that bad, you can weld a steel plate onto the existing mounting plate for support and then weld bars from the bottom of the plate to a part of the frame for more renforcement

jtmoyer

i have a good fame in columbus In if you want it. it is just sitting around.

Jason

WellsTC

The transmission totally broke off the back of the frame so I plan to take if all apart for welding and reinforcing. I've started and become concerned about all the wiring. I.E. can I buy a wiring diagram that includes how the wires are color coded ? => Did not find one at www.ShopToro.com

So I've printed out the B&W part blow-ups and plan to put some notes on them.

=> A free frame has been offered ! This sounds interesting. Is it in Columbus, Ohio ?

Buying a backup tractor has been suggested too. Found this still available in Indiana. 7,000+ hours on the original motor sounds like a lot. Does it have any life left ?

1988 Wheelhorse 416-8 - $600 (Brownsburg, IN)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1988 Wheelhorse 416-8, Kohler 16 HP Engine (original), with 48" deck, new tires in last 3 years, 7,000+ hours, One owner, Runs $600 OBO. (317) 852-8643

The spare tractor could get me mowing again quickly....

Thanks,

Tom

nylyon

First, :thumbs2:

If it were me, I would try to get your current frame welded, and that is assuming that it is fixable. Second choice would be to get a new / used frame. The good thing about Wheel Horses, parts are pretty easy to come by. As for that 416 for 600. If it's correct that it has 7,000 hours that is (in my opinion) a super high mileage tractor and not even close to being worth $600. In our own classified, this tractor was just listed. This is a far better value if you were looking for a second / replacement tractor, unless you NEED 16 HP.

WellsTC

That tractor does look very nice and it is in Michigan which may not be far. (Much nicer than ours.)

Could I use the same 48" mowing deck ?

Would 12 HP be enough ?

Yeah, 7,000 hours times 5 mph = 35,000 miles which sounds like a lot for a tractor. Most motorcycles have fewer miles...

Thanks,

Tom (NW Indiana)

P.S. and thank you-all for the welcome

nylyon

All the attachments that a 416 can take, the 312 can as well. A 48" deck is on the big side for 12Hp, but it should be able to handle it fine. I don't have a 48" (or 12 Hp either) but with a 42" deck, there is little difference with my 414-8 and 416-H with power.

WHC-125

That tractor does look very nice and it is in Michigan which may not be far. (Much nicer than ours.)

Could I use the same 48" mowing deck ?

Would 12 HP be enough ?

Yeah, 7,000 hours times 5 mph = 35,000 miles which sounds like a lot for a tractor. Most motorcycles have fewer miles...

Thanks,

Tom (NW Indiana)

P.S. and thank you-all for the welcome

Tom, I run a 48 inch deck on my C-125 (12 hp) and my C-101(10 hp), which they both do perfectly fine. I mow 2nd gear at full throttle.

jtmoyer

=> A free frame has been offered ! This sounds interesting. Is it in Columbus, Ohio ?

why is it that no one has ever heard of Columbus Indiana. :thumbs: they always think ohio.

so the frame is about 1 hr south of Indianapolis.

jason in columbus indiana (not ohio :thumbs2: )

WellsTC

I'm making progress on the tear down but putting it back together will be more of a challenge. Only one screw has busted off so far on this 1988 tractor.

This 16 HP WH is able to mow in high gear most of the time (with the 48" three blade deck). Exceptions are during the peak lawn growing season each spring and when using it was the lawn vacuum.

A 12 HP model with a hydraulic transmission will be less efficient than a manual transmission model so I would probably not be able to mow in high gear much, I think.

Another thought is to shop for a new mower at a end of season sale. I do plan to fix the old 416-8 but how much more life can it have ? When we obtained it 4 years ago with our homestead (1.56 acres), the hour meter was busted. I suspect that it has run much longer than the 4xx shown but it does not burn oil and runs petty well....

Tom

Raider12

Another thought is to shop for a new mower at a end of season sale. I do plan to fix the old 416-8 but how much more life can it have ?

My self I would have hard time giving up on the 416. You would have to spend a LOT of cash to buy something equal to it in quality. I have had my 1970 Raider 12 for almost 20 years now. And I too purchased it from the previous property owner and it still mowing and everthing I "demand" of it today. Yea..... I have rebuilt the engine and replaced the deck over the years. But the people next door to me on both sides have now purchased their 3rd tractor (crapsman or mtd) since Iv been here. And mine keeps on going, and going , and going etc.

bitten

I have to agree with Denver, your 416 will out last most lawn mowers built today. Fix the frame, as your doing and enjoy a real piece of equipment for takeing care of your property. By the way :thumbs2:

canam1991

Do what i did but this is on my puller so it don't have to be as strong

wheelhorse032.jpg

added 1/8 plate to trans plate then 1/2 flat stock for flex :thumbs2:

sorekiwi

This is what I found on my 1276.

IMG_2372.jpg

Its not going to crack in a hurry, 2 pieces of 3" angle iron, 1/4" thick, welded onto the back of the frame (the old bracket completely removed).

WHC-125

This is what I was trying to explain that he should do

Thanks Jacob :thumbs2:

bo dawg

why is it that no one has ever heard of Columbus Indiana. :ychain: they always think ohio.

so the frame is about 1 hr south of Indianapolis.

jason in columbus indiana (not ohio :thumbs: )

I understand your pain Jason. :ROTF: I am down there off and on visiting customers and every time I tell anyone I'm going to Columbus they think Ohio. I guess it's more common than Indiana due to it being a capitol city of Ohio :thumbs2:

canam1991

This is what I was trying to explain that he should do

Thanks Jacob :thumbs:

no problem :thumbs2:

WellsTC

The 1988 WH 416-8 has been torn down to the frame. The frame's transmission support looks too damaged to repair IMO.

I'm thinking that a drive to Columbus INDIANA is in order to avoid alignment issues.

The modified frame for pulling (shown above) looks great !

Not sure how to insert images here so I have attached two JPGs as a single file.

Do images have to be inserted as links to some other location on the internet ? Can they be uploaded into the photo section here then linked to in a message like this one ?

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1250623407.jpg

546cowboy

WOW!! that is baddddd. If it was mine I'd most likely cut that off after I made a template and made a new one out of 1/4" plate. It doesn't have any complicated angles or rounded parts to it.

Of course I live in Indiana and have been to Columbus before and I would go that far for a free frame.

Craig Arndt

How did that happen? I've never seen a plate look like that, whoa.

I agree, I'd cut it off and put my own plate on.

Raider12

I'd have to agree with Craig, I would cut it off and make a new plate myself. Unless you don't have access to a welder. Then the free frame is a better fix.

Rod(NASNUT)

I have seen them that bad 100_0468.jpg

That frame was off of my dads C-160 :thumbs2:

canam1991

you should see my 312-A :thumbs2:

plowmaster

wow, how does it happen?

Sparky

wow, how does it happen?

I would think that only 2 attachments could cause that type of trauma. A snow/dozer blade or a tiller attachment. They both put some strain on the rear axle where a mowing deck doesnt have any real connection to the rear axle or frame.

Ramming stuff with a plow was likely the reason for the damage.

Mike..........