formariz

Paring chisels

JimSraj

Absolutely beautiful work!  How long does it take you to make that tenon and the angled shoulders?

formariz
2 hours ago, JimSraj said:

Absolutely beautiful work!  How long does it take you to make that tenon and the angled shoulders?

Thank you. It depends on how well it goes but it could be a couple of hours sometimes. It’s a tedious process since the process is all made with hand tools . Starts with cutting the actual tenon slightly oversized then fitting it tightly to mortise . Once in the mortise about two thirds of way the shoulders shape can now be scribed . Since they are different one being steeper than the other more material has to be taken from the flatter one otherwise that one will reach its destination before the steeper one. Once they are 99% of the way there a piece of carbon paper is used to determine the final paring. During all of this one of course has to pound it in and out many times also being careful not to crack anything. Most of the time spent is with the beveled shoulders. 

The beveled shoulders start with the fact that the natural edge of the slab was already there. Rather than ripping the whole slab straight and creating a flat straight edge one merely planes another bevel on the high side of slab creating the “V”. This way the whole slab is utilized. Although much more difficult and labor intense the end result is superior to square straight shoulders. 

IMG_4042.jpeg.bc1f28854c8fd3b93d68ef788cc2d9bc.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg.812363f9bf97a3bd8e65218ed6fefa39.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg.9255992cd0a0ca6d04752f818235ac71.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

oliver2-44

Thanks for sharing such amazing knowledge and skill.

Softening hardwood with alcohol is an interesting trick I can use.

formariz
5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Thanks for sharing such amazing knowledge and skill.

Softening hardwood with alcohol is an interesting trick I can use.

Thank you. When working end grain of particularly hardwoods such as when trimming a miter with a block plane softening it prior helps greatly. Mineral spirits also work however alcohol evaporates quicker and penetrates deeper. It also has the benefit in an oily wood such as teak of neutralizing the oiliness so glue will adhere better. 
  Someone very influential in my life always got a kick of watching people’s expressions as he would lick the end of a mitered casing prior to adjusting it with a block plane. Sometimes someone just to bust him would point out that there was still a tiny gap. He would just say “listen I just ran out of spit”. I miss those old guys . They were lifetimes of knowledge and experience. 

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2