Gary S Minnesota

Eaton1100 oil drain bolt dripping.

Gary S Minnesota

Hi all,

I posted awhile back I had stripped the Allen bolt on the drain plug on my 520H.  Subsequently I drilled it out, tapped new threads (NPT 3/8-18,) and inserted a galvanized plug.  I now have a slow, very slow leak, maybe 10 drips in 24hrs.  It leaves an  oil stain on a paper towel about 2” in diameter over night.  I am considering applying  a tiny bit of plumbers teflon tape around a couple of the plug threads.  I am quite sure that would cure the drip but have heard you folks speak to not getting any type of contaminate to that Eaton pump.  Not likely the tape would migrate into the rear end oil reservoir but remote chance?  Any suggestions?

Thanks soo much!

Gary

WHX??

Tape would work just fine. Some guys like to leave the first couple of threads bare. 

• Like 3

lynnmor

As above leave a bit of bare thread and do two tight wraps.  Keep in mind that Teflon acts as a lubricant and the plug can be tightened to the point of cracking the cast iron, so don’t get carried away with tightening.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have used this stuff for years works on gasoline fittings also...

seal.JPG

• Like 2

Handy Don
17 hours ago, Gary S Minnesota said:

inserted a galvanized plug

Goal of leaving the innermost couple of threads bare is to minimize the risk of teflon fragments getting loose inside the transaxle.

Also, as an FYI, be aware that the coating on this plug makes the surface on its threads less smooth than a plain steel plug.

Personally, I don’t see much value in galvanized over plain for this application.

Edited by Handy Don

Gary S Minnesota

Thank you for your responses folks!

Yesterday I finally got around to picking up an extra 3/8 inch threaded plug for the stripped out and retapped hydro drain hole on my 520h.  I put two tight wraps of Telflon tape on this new plug, leaving  three  threads void of tape.  I removed the slow leaking original 3/8 plug ( which had no Teflon tape on it) and was able to quickly insert the new Teflon taped plug minimizing any oil loss.  Great Results!   NO MORE LEAK!

Sure is nice to have you folks ready to help,

Thank you all!

Gary

• Like 2