Mike_eash

10 hp Kohler engine for 69 charger 10

Mike_eash

Hello

New to the forum. However I recently purchased a charger 10 with a 10 hp Kohler motor on it. Supposedly didn't start when I bought it but I got it home adjusted carb and used some starting fluid and it fired up although running poorly. I adjusted carb some more and rpms skyrocketed for maybe 20 seconds then major backfires and died

Now it won't start at all even with starting fluid it is getting gas and has spark

I believe something happened when the rpms went up so high

Not sure where to go from here any input would be appreciated 

20230727_194424.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

first off, Put the juice down and let’s do some troubleshooting!  Starting fluid is terrible on these little engines, and shouldn’t be used if at all possible.

Second, :text-welcomeconfetti:

I’d suggest pull the plug and stick your thumb over the hole.  When you roll it over, does it pop your thumb off or is it free spinning?

• Excellent 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

If things look good with compression next would be a good carb cleaning. :WRS:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tractorhead

Maybe a result of ignitiontiming.

If the points be worn ( sometimes a result of a defect condenser ) can also be happen.

loosen screws on the points can also be happen, so you will see a spark but it is out of the needed Timing.

As Pullstart mentioned allready a change of Fuel wasn‘t a bad idea at all,

bcause you never know what PO has put in and maybe how long it sat with that juice.

Dealing with any kind of Starterfluid is a nono on each Engine IMHO.

Instead you can use a cheap spraygun bottle with little fuel in it, that‘s the better Way.

A compression check as @Pullstart mentioneds method is a good point to start with.

btw: :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Anyone got a link to that new to me check list thread for him?

Mike_eash

Appreciate everybody's input I didn't know starting fluid was bad!

No more juice for me haha!

I do have compression I plan on cleaning the carb next and will let you guys know how it goes

Thank you

• Like 1

Gasaholic
16 hours ago, Mike_eash said:

Appreciate everybody's input I didn't know starting fluid was bad!

Yup. Starting fluid (ether) is bad, as it is a superb de-greaser , it quickly washes the oil off the cylinder and rings (and other things that need a tiny bit of lubrication) so using starting fluid excessively, you're essentially running the engine on dry metal-to-metal contact, which leads to rapid wear and damage. Modern diesel starting fluid does sometimes come with top end lubricants , but still it is *PRIMARILY* for those older diesels that actually were designed to use a shot of start fluid in lieu of glow plugs. - Never want to use starting fluid on a diesel that uses glow plugs, on the off chance that even one glow plug gets hot enough it can cause a hell of an explosion back out the intake (Just ask me how I know! haha! Face fulla flame!) and likewise, when your spark plug fires, if there's even a slight leak at the intake valve, you can get the carburetor (and anything in a direct line with carb throat outwards, including your hand and the spray can of starting fluid) caught on fire too.   A better alternative (and a bit less dangerous, but still dangerous) would be spray Auto Choke & carburetor cleaner , but ideal alternative as mentioned is a squirt can or spray bottle with a bit of clean fresh gas to prime things.