Dreamcatcher

310-8 Shifter boot

Dreamcatcher

Good afternoon all,

I was feeling around / inspecting the shifter boot on my tractor.  I removed as much debris from the area as I could.  The boot itself seems ok but doesn' tseem to fit tightly on the opening of the trans.  Is this normal?  I'm going to do a drain and fill soon and want to replace the boot if it is bad. Thanks for your input

Mike'sHorseBarn

If it's dry rotten that might cause that. While we are on this subject, did Toro discontinue shifter boots as of this year? I thought I read that somewhere.

Dreamcatcher
2 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

If it's dry rotten that might cause that. While we are on this subject, did Toro discontinue shifter boots as of this year? I thought I read that somewhere.

I see many available online.  It doesn't feel dry rot to me, just not on there tightly.

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

. While we are on this subject, did Toro discontinue shifter boots as of this year? 

A to Z Tractor in PA has aftermarket ones. 

Wheel Horse parts and More has boots too but I don't know if they're OE or aftermarket. 

You can also get rubber boots by sizing instead of application from other aftermarket vendors.   

29 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

The boot itself seems ok but doesn' tseem to fit tightly on the opening of the trans.  Is this normal? 

The OE Wheelhorse boot should fit fairly loosely so it'll also go over the shifter set screw end. Even then they're a bit .. floppity... 

peter lena

@Dreamcatcher I use dielectric grease on the shifter shaft to enhance the slide on , razor blade to cut it off , like a large TYE WRAP on the shaft just above the boot to hold it in place , if you don,t secure it . it will move on itself , exposing shifter hole . debris , pete

• Like 4

peter lena

@ebinmaine  like anything else I  try / experiment with , the one constant was the boot movement / exposure , used dielectric grease on the imediate under side / irigular  base point , alowing the boot to move/ slide with ease , the tye wrap is ABOVE  the boot , letting it do its thing , was the perfect stop , dr frankenhorse .  aka , you can,t do that  pete

• Like 1