peejo50

Paint and restoration

peejo50

I've repainted both my 516-8 and my 312 Hydro because of the peeling paint. What happened to the quality of the paint when Toro took over Wheel Horse? My older C-120 had not a spot of paint missing. For that reason, when I got around to re-doing it, I chose to not repaint the hood and fenders. I wet sanded with 600 and shot them with semi-gloss clear to preserve the patina. But just to give it a little spark, I added a few flames to the hood. For all of my tractors I used Rust-oleum Sunrise Red and trim colors of Rust-oleum Gloss White and Silver. It was a toss-up between Sunrise and Regal Reds, but at the time I wanted to paint, only Sunrise was available locally to me. It is somewhat brighter red than the original, but I'm satisfied with it.

For all of the purist's out there, forgive my use of non-official paint colors. 

IMG_20230623_135501205.jpg

IMG_20230623_135448444.jpg

• Like 7

oliver2-44

Looks Great!.  Love the

Flames on the Patina

There is no such thing as Official Paint Colors beyond "Red"

pacer
54 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

no such thing as Official Paint Colors beyond "Red"

:text-yeahthat:

Nice horses there................

Lee1977

Looks good!

I used Rust-oleum IH Red Tractor paint and a Harbor Firght paint gun with Asetone thinner and Omini MH 284 hardner on my Raider 12.

I had some PPg Hardner but could not find it. the Omini was for  etching primer. I ending up with a textured finish. I fix three or four of the worst dammaged places and the textured finish hid three dozen more small ones.

SAM-1646-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peejo50

Never saw one look so good. Using that for the trails? 

c-series don

I paint everything with sunrise red, including my C-161 and E-Z Rake 

IMG_4482.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Lee1977
1 hour ago, peejo50 said:

Never saw one look so good. Using that for the trails?  

I take it out in the woods nothing as crazy as the mud mowers. I avoid mud if I can. The engine, transmission and drive belt is still stock. I use it or my 312-8 to pull a wagon around the farm with saws to trim back limbs a bushes, every thing just keeps closing in if you don't keep after it.

• Like 2

peejo50
10 hours ago, c-series don said:

I paint everything with sunrise red, including my C-161 and E-Z Rake 

IMG_4482.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

First E-Z Rake I've come across. Very nice set-up. 

c-series don

@peejo50 Thank you! After many years of looking I found it in Lawn and Garden Collector Magazine classifieds. It was in Illinois and I shipped it via fastenall. I’m not sure what the mounts that I got with it were for but they were not for a Wheel Horse! So I fabricated them to weld to a mule drive. Then restored and put it to work,I can’t believe how well it actually works! Sorry for so many pictures, I got carried away 😂

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg

IMG_4457.jpeg

IMG_4456.jpeg

IMG_4922.jpeg

IMG_4924.jpeg

IMG_4920.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peejo50

Man, you weren't messing around tearing up the lawn! Nice job on the resto and fabrication. I love fabricating for your own purpose. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@peejo50  ever heard of  " paint blocking " ?  thats a firm hard rubber bock covered with your finish grit sandpaper , that will hold a firm contact , yet follow ithe imperfections in metal , the shadows  in the top of hood would look totally different , with a fine blocking , detail cleaning  before paint , nothing sarcastic , just a detail that makes a difference , pete 

• Like 2

peejo50
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

@peejo50  ever heard of  " paint blocking " ?  thats a firm hard rubber bock covered with your finish grit sandpaper , that will hold a firm contact , yet follow ithe imperfections in metal , the shadows  in the top of hood would look totally different , with a fine blocking , detail cleaning  before paint , nothing sarcastic , just a detail that makes a difference , pete 

"Paint blocking". Been there, done that. Back in the day, I painted custom vans, motorcycles and even guitars for the stars. I didn't spend a lot of time on this tractor as time is limited at this stage of my life. I have multiple spray guns, and equipment/materials, but mostly use a brush or rattle can these days. Quick and easy. I certainly do appreciate and love to see the work others put into their restorations and know what it takes to do these projects. I'm still driving my 61 Impala that I restored in 1980 and again in 2000, mostly for upgrades.   

3.JPG

4.JPG

Edited by peejo50
Added Pics
  • Thanks 3

rjg854
50 minutes ago, peejo50 said:

I'm still driving my 61 Impala that I restored in 1980 and again in 2000, mostly for upgrades.   

How about some pictures of that?

peter lena

@peejo50  living in ny , the car work was always in the style phase , those fender skirts and related era ," customizing " were about it . other parts of the country  upgrade with more go than show. traveled out west many times , week end parking lots were always packed with cars .  las vegas , reno , roger pensky ,auto world  in scottsdale ariz , bring a druel cup and a bib , your gonna need it . las vegas night street car shows , with  the lift cars , mexican hi riders , haven,t seen a chevy like yours in many moons , pete

• Like 1