GAJoe

Where do you put the reflective tape for a photo tachometer?

GAJoe

I access to borrow a photo tachometer. I tried once on the K341 and put a piece of white hack saw blade under one of the screen retaining screws. I got crazy readings.

I'm thinking that I need a larger target but I don't want to reduce the amount of cooling air flow. Where do you have success? 

kpinnc

I put mine on the farthest outer side of the flywheel screen. 

May not stick for long, but it helps with setting the throttle at least.

oliver2-44

Actually might need a smaller target with a solid background.  I suspect the screen holes may have driven it crazy.  

I have a tach like that and it came with 1/4" wide tape that you cut a small length off.  I put a piece on the side of the larger PTO pulley and it works great. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
36 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

I access to borrow a photo tachometer. I tried once on the K341 and put a piece of white hack saw blade under one of the screen retaining screws. I got crazy readings.

I'm thinking that I need a larger target but I don't want to reduce the amount of cooling air flow. Where do you have success? 

Depending on the tach, it may simply need a contrasting color stripe. I’ve painted them onto the visible rotating parts on the PTO side of my tractors.

• Excellent 1

lynnmor

I use white paint or white-out, no need for fancy tape.

• Like 1

ri702bill

I put the tape on the flat cylindrical surface ot the PTO bell.

To get a consistant reading, you need to use the tach when out of direct sunlight....

Racinbob

I put a piece on the flywheel screen and it works great. Not that it really matters but this picture was taken four years ago and I just checked. It's still there. :)

1330536671_B160Weightsoff2.jpg.1311155cc380f1fda48bf0c4832c1269.jpg

hotajax

Clean spot on the intake screen.  The screen air passes through to cool the engine.  It works.