scotty

Tecumseh H60 lawn ranger governer

scotty

Hi i just replaced the governor gear on a lawn ranger that has the h60 Tecumseh. and the engine is over revving when i pull the throttle is there any adjustment? ive tried moving the throttle cable back and that didnt help either.

gwest_ca

When a governor is working it slows the engine down.

The throttle cable is connected to a spring and the spring is connected to the governor arm. This is what speeds it up.

When the force generated by the governor equals the spring tension that is rpm you end up with.

The governor is adjusted with the engine not running.

Tecumseh H20-HH70 Governor.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don

Since you’ve already been into this to change the governor gear, you’ll understand that the governor arm is clamped to the shaft of that gear.

The idea of the above setting is to sync the min position of the governor (shaft gently twisted fully clockwise) to the min position of the throttle (governor arm moved to have throttle shaft fully clockwise). This permits the governor to reduce to idle throttle when needed.

In my experience with H60 and HH60, the little arm that extends the governor arm should be straight out. Putting the link to the carb in the hole furthest from the governor shaft amplifies the reaction to the governor (quicker and stronger) and using the nearest hole attenuates the response (slower and weaker). I use the middle hole. Also, any slack in that linkage may result in a bit of hunting--there is sometimes a thin spring using the same holes as the wire link that puts tension on the linkage to prevent that.

image.png.3ccaa2a50f6e6d64a10cbd20982ac0dd.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

scotty

When i put the gear in where the governor arm had an extension that had threads in it did it matter which direction i tightened that? it was loose before i tightened it. I tightened it like how this picture looks. Ive tried that setting and it doesnt help the throttle speed. It does idle and throttle up fine. The rpms just go way to high when i pull the throttle out. Ive tried moving the throttle cable and that didnt help either

shaft.jpg

Edited by scotty

wallfish

You can check and verify the governor shaft operation by starting the engine,  in idle, now move the governor arm or carb linkage to higher rpm by HAND. You should feel the governor arm pushing back to try and close the carb. And it should be a noticeable force so there's no guessing. If it's not pushing back to try and close the carb then it's not going to work no matter what adjustments are made to any of the linkage. Something internal is not right.

If it is pushing back then the linkage needs to be adjusted properly. A stronger than normal spring connected may over come the force of the governor and basically act as a solid link.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of a Teccy but could that part you tightened be a cause for binding the governor parts and keep it from moving?

Handy Don

@wallfish has you going in the right direction. Make sure the governor is actually working and applying more pressure as the engine speed increases.

Handy Don

I did a quick check of the files on this site and didn’t see it, but this is a manual I’ve found helpful. It covers parts of many different engines.

Techumseh Technician's Handbook.pdf

scotty

Just wanted to update everybody the gear inside was correct. It was an external linkage. I had to move where the governor rod was in the carb and the throttle. The little arm where the governor rod goes in was also in the wrong position works great now! Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1