Bull

417A cranks won't start

Bull

Hello Everyone,

I have a Wheel Horse 417A w/ KT17 motor and 505 hours on it. I was mowing my lawn last week and she suddenly died. I was coming down a hill and thought maybe she ran out of gas. I added fuel but she wouldn't restart so I covered her and left it for the next morning. The next day she still wouldn't start. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and it did finally start, ran rough then seemed to smooth out. I thought that was it so I put the air cleaner back on the carb and the cover over the points and went to restart her but no luck. Now I pulled everything apart again and this time checked the fuel pump to see if was working which it was. I again tried to prime it but still nothing but cranking. I pulled the plugs again to see if there was spark. This time when I cranked her some gas spit out through the spark plug hole. I did notice that the plugs were saturated. Maybe I overdid it with trying to start it. Should I pickup some more plugs and try again?  Can it be anything else that I should check?

Thanks,

Bob

ineedanother

I don't know the KT17 so will wait for others to chime in but a word of caution in the mean time. From what little I can tell, it is possible that your float has stuck and it is being flooded. If that is the case and depending on how much you've cranked it, a considerable amount of fuel could have made it's way into the crank case which YOU DO NOT WANT.

If you pull your dipstick and it smells like fuel or appears to be diluted, don't try to run it until we can figure out what's going on.

• Excellent 2

Achto
14 hours ago, Bull said:

This time when I cranked her some gas spit out through the spark plug hole. I did notice that the plugs were saturated. Maybe I overdid it with trying to start it. Should I pickup some more plugs and try again?

Sounds like you may have added a little too much gas to prime it. The advise given above on checking for gas in the crank case is crucial.

Try some new plugs, make sure you have good spark. From there pursue a possible fuel issue.

peter lena

@Bull  sounds electrical to me , there is so many  related possibilites , fuses , corosion , wire chafing , cracked electrical connections , on and on . that sudden shut down , could be a safety switch . check over anything , test light , jumper wires . had a dash panel that was grass packed , damp with matted grass , like a mine field , for electrical , blockage , pete

Bill D

Sounds like it might be time for a new set of points and condenser.  As others have stated, check all your grounds and electrical connections.  If you want to eliminate the safety switches on the tractor as a potential source of trouble, run a jumper from the battery positive to the positive terminal on the coil and see if it starts.  If it does your problem is the safety switches.

Bull

Hello everyone,

Here's my latest update on my 417A issue.

I changed the oil out of concern of contaminated fuel. I also replaced the plugs. She did start but blew a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust. I pulled the air cleaner and she ran better but was spitting some fuel out of the carburetor until I idled her. Has this become a carburetor issue? I think I am getting close but need some feedback. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. The points, condenser, and filters are all in good shape. I might just order a new carb but would like some input on vendors. There are some listed on Amazon and Isavetractors. Rebuilding the carb might be a bit beyond my capabilities even if I can get a kit. I haven't done something like that in 50 years.

Regards,

Bull

Regards,

Bob

Achto
28 minutes ago, Bull said:

. There are some listed on Amazon and Isavetractors. Rebuilding the carb might be a bit beyond my capabilities even if I can get a kit.

If you wish to buy a new carb I don't suggest the China cheepo's from Amazon. The ones from Isavetractors are a better quality.

Rebuilding your existing carb is not difficult. Here the Kohler part number for a rebuild kit for your carb. 2575702S

One source for rebuild kits.

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_carburetor_parts.htm

• Like 1

Bull

Hello Everyone,

I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it the best I could and reinstalled it. I did unscrew the jets and counted the number of turns. I cleaned them with carb cleaner and also used a little steel wool. The float level was fine and it did not have any fuel in it. I reinstalled the carburetor, restarted and was able to get the throttle about half way to where it sounded decent. When I increased the throttle from there it start spitting fuel up through the carb. This time there wasn't any black smoke. Anyway, I am thinking about ordering a carburetor through I Save Tractors. I pulled the spark plugs and noticed the rear one was really black where the front one was normal. That bothered me about maybe a bad cylinder. I am still stumped. One step forward and 2 back.

Regards,

Bull

Bull

Hello Everyone,

Bad news on compression check i performed this afternoon. One cylinder came in at at 40 lbs and the other one was 0. I guess some decisions will have to be made on rebuild or part out. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Regards,

Bob