ML3

RJ axle seals

ML3

Working on RJ. Got things apart to repaint etc. Changed transmission fluid the other day. It wasn't terrible but needed changed. Painted transmission yesterday. Now the axle seals are leaking! Ugh! There was fluid in trans prior & there wasn't any leaks. Both sides leaking pretty good. Now I gotta figure out what seals etc are needed, where to get them & what's involved with changing them. It looks like there's 2 different seals for the RJ???

IMG_20230715_101557833.jpg

squonk

The bronze bushings on the ends of the tubes are probably worn. Tipping it and monkeying around probably didn't help. The axles wear also where they go thru the bushings. New seals may or may not stop it. How much oil did you put in? Maybe you got too much in there. It doesn't take much.

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Looks like you do not have any seals.

The metal OD of the seal is installed over the axle tube so should be visible.

Seal 1257 replaced by 742000 has always been available from Toro and only Toro but not any more. I do not know if any of our vendors have them.

• Like 1

ML3
33 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Looks like you do not have any seals.

The metal OD of the seal is installed over the axle tube so should be visible.

Seal 1257 replaced by 742000 has always been available from Toro and only Toro but not any more. I do not know if any of our vendors have them.

I'll have to take it apart to verify seals are not there? Like I said there was fluid in transmission & it wasn't leaking before, which I was surprised. Whoever started working on it definitely did everything half ass I'm finding out. 

ML3
1 hour ago, squonk said:

The bronze bushings on the ends of the tubes are probably worn. Tipping it and monkeying around probably didn't help. The axles wear also where they go thru the bushings. New seals may or may not stop it. How much oil did you put in? Maybe you got too much in there. It doesn't take much.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

I'll have to look up again how much gear oil capacity calls for. Anyone know it so I can verify I have correct information? I remember being surprised that it didn't take more oil that required 

squonk

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

When you go to put oil back in, put the oil in a small funnel through one of the bolt holes in the top of the trans.  Fill until it starts to come out of the fill plug on the left side near the axle.  That is all it should have in it. 

The axle seals tap on over the axle housing.  Do not use the ones that Wheel Horse used to use before the capped seals.  They never did work properly with the bronze bushings.  :occasion-xmas:

stevasaurus

Here is a picture of what the seal looks like and how I get them off.

2008_0304LANES10005.thumb.JPG.4b9ac99d52

2008_0304LANES10006.thumb.JPG.5a1688b789

Here is a picture of the way WH tried to do it at first.  You may not even have those grooves for the axle seals like that in your casting.

2008_0304LANES10002.thumb.JPG.3d301b4e06

Edited by stevasaurus

stevasaurus

This thread may be very helpful for your transmission.  Check out page 2 post #33 for information on the seals.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ML3

Stupid me.....

Appears like transmission was overfilled. I think I musta initially added fluid & forgot I did then added again! I realized it after seeing how much gear lube I had used. 🤞

• Thanks 1