c-series don

A free Cat 955L track loader, ran when parked !

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

how much money am I going to put into this thing?

Money pit fer sure. Track roller frames & pins turned... who knows? 

They have guy’s that will be all asses and elbows into it to get it running and move it to their property. They (I🙂) will use it

Odd ...clubs around here would push it back to their many piles of projects... you know Don too many chiefs and not enough Indians. 

feel like I’m doing the right thing by giving it to the association

ABSOLUTELY you are doing the right thing. The even better thing, if/when they get it running spring for signage with the history... just sayin. :thumbs2:

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 6

c-series don

@WHX?? Good idea with the signage! I just might do that! 

• Like 3

WHX??

Respectable way to keep FIL alive Don ... even if they just use it as a static display. 

• Like 4

Wheel-N-It

I remember these 955's on construction projects i would work on as a young man.......    Then the rear engine track loaders took over

• Like 1

WHX??
11 minutes ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Then the rear engine track loaders took over

Not familiar with them Van? 

• Like 1

c-series don

@Wheel-N-It Yes that is an L series, the last of the front engine track loaders. Then came the rear engine 943,53,63 and 73 machines. Around here you rarely see them anymore, the excavator and skid steer have taken its place. That machine is odd for Long Island because it doesn’t have a 4-in-1 bucket. Today I was on this machine.

IMG_8119.jpeg

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Wheel-N-It
13 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Not familiar with them Van? 

See the above pic Jim. These rear engine loaders are fun to operate. 

I'd rather drive one of them than to eat !!! :text-lol:

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It
13 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@Wheel-N-It Yes this is an L series, the last of the front engine track loaders. Then came the rear engine 943,53,63 and 73 machines. Around here you rarely see them anymore, the excavator and skid steer have taken its place. This machine is odd for Long Island because it doesn’t have a 4-in-1 bucket. Today I was on this machine.

Today was a good day for you !!!  It is amazing what an excavator and skid steer can do working as a team. More especially with the skid steers being manufactured now. Some of them are really powerful and fast.  I downsized from a Bobcat 863 to a 773 for my needs around home. The 863 was a big boy back in 1998 when new, but these new machines are stronger and run circles around it now. 

• Like 3

WHX??

Lol ... please tell me Don my dog does not mind all the rumblings and shaking! 

Short story... when I went to the Navy recruiter at ripe old age of 17 I mentioned to him I was working for an excavator running heavy. He said I should sign up to be a SeaBee... no thanks I said those guys get shot at... what about submarines??? :lol:

• Haha 3

c-series don

@WHX?? In fact she fell asleep today on the machine! Similar story, in high school I wanted to go in the army and join the operating engineers but my guidance counselor said no! You could get killed! This was at the beginning of the war in Kuwait. I still kinda regret listening to him. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
14 minutes ago, Wheel-N-It said:

See the above pic Jim. These rear engine loaders are fun to operate. 

I'd rather drive one of them than to eat !!! :text-lol:

Way before my time Van. Best we could muster is late 70s early 80s JDs. POS with turning clutches shot or out of adjustment. I learned to wrestle! :lol:

Sorry Don didn't mean to get nostalgic on ya. 

• Haha 2

WHX??
4 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@WHX??  I still kinda regret listening to him. 

Here too when I see what a operating engineer makes these days and how rare they are to find. Even with the unions they they have and such. 

I would whole heartily agree with the road grader comments on making the pavement strait before the paver.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, c-series don said:

used it on his wife’s horse rescue farm, to do things that you do on a horse farm with a bulldozer…..

🤔

That splains it.  😂.  

Excellent deal all around Don!!

• Like 1

squonk

Kids up in here! :lol:

I remember being around some old steam machines and oil puffers . Some old tymey equipment you see at the steam shows but actually workin for a livin. :banana-linedance:

I bet the Antique Power Club will be all over that like flies on stink. I know my Steam Club guys would. It would make a great addition to the "sandbox" :banana-wrench:

Canandaigua Pageant of Steam – MachinistBlog.com

• Like 3