Cheyenne

1057 battery not charging

Cheyenne

I'm new to this forum and looking for some help on an electrical issue on a 1967 Model 1057 Wheel Horse that was given to me recently.  The engine is a Kohler 10 HP with a starter generator on it.  It has a brand new battery and new voltage regulator and starts right up but will not charge the battery while running. Looking for help on what to check or look for to get the battery charging . Not real experienced on electrical issues such as this. Any help will be much appreciated.Thanks

Edited by Cheyenne
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Welcome

Unfortunately many new electrical parts these days are bad out of the box...

Do you have a multimeter of some kind.?

Is the idiot light on?

Check voltage engine running.  Should be 13.5 or more.  If not run a wire from the F terminal on the Generator and ground it when the engine is running.  Engine should sound like it is working a bit harder and voltage should go up.  If it doesn't change then problem is probably internal to the generator  (field coils)

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Cheyenne

Thanks Pfrederi, I do have multimeter and will check the voltage to the battery while running.  There is a red dome on the dash by the starter but it has never lit up that I have noticed if that is the idiot light you are referencing to. 

pfrederi

could be bad connections or burned out bulb

lets see what multimeter tells us..

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: 10 & 1257 favorites in my herd. 

Be sure to check all grounds. Including regulator mounting bracket to SG and SG to motor. 

The idiot light should come on as soon as the key is turned to run and may even glow abit until engine revved. Bad bulb 💡  is common but can be a pain to get at. 

• Like 1

Cheyenne

Problem solved with multimeter, the idiot light had  burned out bulb and the negative battery ground to the generator had a corroded ground contact.  Replaced the bulb and cleaned the ground connection and now the battery is charging as it should. Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

• Like 4