Matt0000

520h starter has power when key switch is on “Run” position.

Matt0000

The starter has power when the key switch is on the run position, changed out relays and didn’t change anything. What could be wrong? Only thing that works is to unconnect the blue wire on starter once it starts but is inconvenient. 

gwest_ca

What year or model and serial?

• Like 1

Handy Don

Welcome.

Lots of possibilities, but impossible to narrow down without telling us what’s been done to the tractor. Pictures would help.

Short circuit, bad switch, wrong switch, wiring mistake, wiring damage, and more...

Matt0000

1990-1991 i believe 

3 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

What year or model and serial?

Matt0000
Just now, Handy Don said:

Welcome.

Lots of possibilities, but impossible to narrow down without telling us what’s been done to the tractor. Pictures would help.

Short circuit, bad switch, wrong switch, wiring mistake, wiring damage, and more...

I replaced the switch and relays but not much else. Haven’t changed any wiring. The one relay switch wire tends to come out and the key won’t do anything. But not sure if I switch wires around on the one relay that has the blue wire. 

gwest_ca

Download the file that applies to your tractor. 1990 and 1991 are different.

There is a starter diagram in each file.

First thing I would check is how the ignition switch is functioning. It may have an internal problem. There is a chart with the full wiring diagram that shows how the switch should function.

Make sure you have the correct ignition switch. They can look alike but function differently.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Matt0000
32 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Download the file that applies to your tractor. 1990 and 1991 are different.

There is a starter diagram in each file.

First thing I would check is how the ignition switch is functioning. It may have an internal problem. There is a chart with the full wiring diagram that shows how the switch should function.

Make sure you have the correct ignition switch. They can look alike but function differently.

Not sure if it’s 90 or 91 this is the model number, the old switch did the same thing it does now and didn’t change anything. 

IMG_3012.jpeg

gwest_ca

Your tractor is a 1992 model so use the 1991 wiring above

• Like 1

davem1111

I'm having the same issue with the 1990 520-8 I picked up recently. I think I'm going to have to completely rewire this thing - wire nuts all over the place, seat switch is gone and all 3 wires nutted together.  The cover is off the old relay, and I can start the tractor with the key on, if I squeeze the relay in the right place to close the contacts, but the key switch won't start it. It will be "interesting" to find out where the problem is. 

Matt0000
11 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I'm having the same issue with the 1990 520-8 I picked up recently. I think I'm going to have to completely rewire this thing - wire nuts all over the place, seat switch is gone and all 3 wires nutted together.  The cover is off the old relay, and I can start the tractor with the key on, if I squeeze the relay in the right place to close the contacts, but the key switch won't start it. It will be "interesting" to find out where the problem is. 

So you have power to the starter all the time with the key switch or no?

davem1111
7 minutes ago, Matt0000 said:

So you have power to the starter all the time with the key switch or no?

Hmmm... I think so. Since the relay is exposed, if I bump it the starter will crank whether the key is on or not if I remember correctly. The engine will only start with the key on though.

lynnmor
17 hours ago, Matt0000 said:

I replaced the switch and relays but not much else.

Hard to follow this thread, but my guess is wrong switch, you can't use the appearance since there are numerous types that look the same.

Matt0000
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Hard to follow this thread, but my guess is wrong switch, you can't use the appearance since there are numerous types that look the same.

Not sure if the old switch is factory or not but the new switch does the same thing? 

Matt0000
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

switch isn’t the problem tried factory switch from another 520 and does same thing 

• Like 1