oliver2-44

It’s great you’ve found a machine shop that will work on them. Ask them if they also grind these small crankshafts.  Be sure to take your crank and have them measure it. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Thatoneguy

Ok. What do they need to measure on it? 

oliver2-44

Have them measure the journal where the rod goes. Check the diameter and roundness   Have you found a Tecumseh manual that has the allowable wear specs for your engine. 

• Like 1

Thatoneguy

Yes I do have the manual and plan to take it. Here is the line in the cylinder I was referring to.  It is the only thing that you can feel in the cylinder wall. Everywhere else is smooth. 

image.jpg

Thatoneguy

B405C001-A370-4A0B-9782-0A99F2BA880C.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Likely they'll need to bore .010 or .020 to get that line out. 

Do you have a source for the piston and rod?

• Like 2

Thatoneguy
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Likely they'll need to bore .010 or .020 to get that line out. 

Do you have a source for the piston and rod?

No I do not have a source. 

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, mower said:

No I do not have a source. 

It'd be a good idea to check with the machine shop for parts. 

Some shops require that you use their own sources to give any kind of warranty. 

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Here are 2 threads that you might find useful.

While this 1st one is on a Kohler and you have a Tecumseh, A lot of the basic's it shows are applicable.

many of use refurbish the aluminum head sealing surface like this.

• Thanks 1

Thatoneguy

So here is what I found out today on the motor.  One guy told me the cylinder needed to be bored to .10 (he only took one measurement in one spot) that it had gone past spec I believe he said it was 3.48? or 3.49? (Forgot to write it down :angry-banghead:) so I decided to take it to another engine shop and get a second opinion.  The next guy took several measurements in different spots and said the bore was about .001 out of spec and said he thinks honing would be fine and I would not have any issues. However it would cost about 50-60$ (the first guy wanted 100$)  to bore it to .10.  Now on to the crank, both places measured the crank and both places said it’s out of spec pretty bad (1.3725) and I would definitely need to address the issue.  The 2nd shop (better one in my opinion) told me it is possible they sell an oversized rod for it but I am not seeing anything (maybe I am searching the wrong terms) and I looked into a new stock one and they are 305$ :blink:

I think I am going to have the cylinder bored as I would like to start the restoration off without having halfa$$ work done and for 60$ plus a new piston I think it would be worth it in the long run. 

Will I need to buy a new rod for that .10 piston, and does anyone have any suggestions on the crank?  I looked at some used ones on eBay and it’s hard for me to buy one not knowing the measurements on the journal.  

I believe I will find another place and get a 3rd opinion before doing anything. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Check with Brian at K and B Horse parts. 

Also,

Lincoln at A to Z Tractor.   

Both in the Vendors Section.   

• Thanks 1

ineedanother
7 hours ago, mower said:

Will I need to buy a new rod for that .10 piston, and does anyone have any suggestions on the crank?  I looked at some used ones on eBay and it’s hard for me to buy one not knowing the measurements on the journal.  

Your crank should be able to be turned and based on what your machine shop tells you after they know the acceptable tolerances, then yes, you will need to get a rebuild kit with a push rod that is 0.010" or 0.020" smaller than your original, depending on how much the journal on the crank needed to be turned. The machine shop should be able to advise you as to what you need, and that will not be a used crankshaft from the :techie-ebay:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oliver2-44

Tecumseh is out of business and while I’m not real familiar with them I haven’t see much in aftermarket parts being offered. 

@squonk seems to have some Tecky knowledge, maybe he can chime in here. 

What is the part number for your new oversized piston and undersized rod. I have a large  box of Tecumseh parts I picked up at a shop-estate sale. Most of it seems to be horizontal engine stuff, but maybe some of the same parts fit vertices engines. 

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

@mowerCheck these Tecumseh rod and piston parts out.  Looks like a lot better price than you had previously found.  Seems I recall @WHX?? or someone on here bought some Kohler parts from him and said it was good stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385033624528?hash=item59a5cadbd0:g:2kgAAOSwZnli5Ibz

Message him about underside rods

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

WHX??

Wasn't me but

9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Message him about underside rods

:text-yeahthat:

Damien Walker
On 7/14/2023 at 1:12 PM, mower said:

Anyone had any experience repairing worn gears on the steering?  Mine are worn and in the past when I turn left hard it would pop a few times before catching.  

Jumping steering gears can also be caused by excessive wear in the bearings (ref my C175!). There are in fact no bearings at all, just steel on cast iron they can wear very badly. It's fairly easy to turn down/bore out and fit cintered bronze bearings to fill the gaps! As your machine is a hydro, you could consider power steering too....ok, this wouldn't be original but it is fairly easy to do...and it also removes the worn gears and bearings! I fitted power steering to my 518H during a complete strip down so now is the time to do it if you are going to. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@mower any luck on the parts search? 

• Like 1

Thatoneguy
On 7/30/2023 at 4:52 AM, ebinmaine said:

@mower any luck on the parts search? 

No i kind of took a week/weekend break from it all, as i was cramming and working late nights in the shop on it! I did however find a local wheelhorse here that i think i am going to purchase with a Kohler motor on it and see if it is in better shape.. I will pick it up Friday.

• Like 1