moe1965

Ignition switch help wanted

moe1965

I bought this switch on eBay part # 103990 which also is to be the same as part # 111226.  There is no marking for ignition or "l".   Do I use a different post on the back of the switch or did I get the wrong one.  It's going on  a C 141 K series engine.    Thanks in advance for any feed back

16884133565728931972116213624026.jpg

wallfish

That's the wrong switch for a battery ignition. It's designed for M Magneto type engines like the Magnum series. Not K engines

• Like 3

ebinmaine

I've had VERY poor luck with cheap replacement switches. 

Wrong fit. Poor quality. Fast wear out. 

That is NOT a 103990. 

Might be a 103991. 

Return (or trash heap it) and verify you're getting a real Toro part.  

Not just a "works for/works in place of/same as part number" such n such.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

There was a good posting here a short while back  - it dealt with purposefully using the wrong style switch  and what would happen. Forgot the mix, but one instance would do no harm and the tractor would not start , the other results in a smokeshow...

DO NOT use it...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

wallfish

I to a magneto coil will supply power to those coils and smoke'm

M to a battery ignition coil will just ground it out and no power so no spark.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

There was a good posting here a short while back  - it dealt with purposefully using the wrong style switch  and what would happen. Forgot the mix, but one instance would do no harm and the tractor would not start , the other results in a smokeshow...

DO NOT use it...

I believe..... 

You put a Battery Ignition switch where an M switch should be and you could feed the Magneto a bit of Voltage which could fry it.  

ri702bill
15 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I to a magneto coil will supply power to those coils and smoke'm

M to a battery ignition coil will just ground it out and no power so no spark.

15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

believe..... 

You put a Battery Ignition switch where an M switch should be and you could feed the Magneto a bit of Voltage which could fry it.  

That's the ticket.....

• Like 1

moe1965

Thanks for all info.   I'm having a hard time finding a good replacement other than a used switch.  Any suggestions on a good replacement or a source to find one

wallfish

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233354345939?hash=item365500bdd3:g:JawAAOSwcqhkcFzO&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4DhqQl3ehtptuCRtzBxW%2BPUFaRb0d1PwmGHw%2F2AOE2HYskY3pulQpFStQ4IgboKRw2qQObJMMTRfTA0qPlrrMdYUNmerPpEwQjINn7xcAUFVfV9gSi0VPPt6MJqEhHFWvgjeh%2FGhVd9Yp5pmETwLtynRcVZDOtVDhQuN6f4W%2F1XhqDgaO0qNhfXh8S850bRREkbiHjhPQrgxeFdDXMqGLlrMhHR5uud9olcmf%2BNtMXXAdjdzbMTcaugiaK5AfdQSzFeLjYcJoLuad5fmu%2F5MXL3mD86bJbKigA8u8zQn8YEW|tkp%3ABFBM-IDw5qNi

When you install it, look for the water weep hole on the body of the switch. Point that hole down so it can weep water/moisture out. Premature failure is typically caused by moisture inside the switch and causes issues with the contacts.

Switches come with different diameters for mounting in different size holes too

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

@wallfish - John brings up an excellent point about the drain hole - it needs to be on the bottom. Some, not all replacement switches come with either an external flap you push the key thru, or the key itself has a domed hood that surrounds the face of the switch. Neither are water PROOF, they just help to prevent the ingress of rainwater or moisture from a washdown.

Do inspect the area on the terminal side for two things - minute but visable cracks around the crimp and that the urethane is visable around all the terminals and the body... It is meant to be a SEALANT, NOT a glue to hold the switch together!! Consider returning the switch if either is a visable problem...

My last employer had a line of crimped diecast zinc bodied Ignition Switches - some going back to the early 1900's!!

I got involved with a production issue where the "Closing Tool", used in a press to roll over the housing at final assembly was wearing out. A new one was made to the old paper print, but parts were coming apart during qualification testing due to the presence of stress cracks in the roll. I was asked to "reinvent the wheel" on CAD to determine the tool shape during 4 or more progressions as the tool closed the part. The secret to prevent cracks is to compress or pack the roll as it folds inward... not all vendors want to follow that method with a multi-radiused tool.

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

pacer

If youre in a kinda bind and need to get er goinjg .... I've had good luck going to my nearest parts store (O'Reily, Advance, etc) they generally have a small display of common mower parts including both types of switch.

• Like 1

gwest_ca
19 hours ago, moe1965 said:

I bought this switch on eBay part # 103990 which also is to be the same as part # 111226.  There is no marking for ignition or "l".   Do I use a different post on the back of the switch or did I get the wrong one.  It's going on  a C 141 K series engine.    Thanks in advance for any feed back

16884133565728931972116213624026.jpg

This appears to be the switch you have but function needs to be confirmed to be sure. Still a very popular switch.

Switch Ignition Mag 103991.jpg

• Like 3