T-Mo

Wall Street Article on the John Deere 110

SylvanLakeWH

How sad... addictions to things like that can be so harmful... :(

I am very fortunate to be surrounded by supportive, caring and understanding people on this site who steer clear of green things...

:occasion-clown:

• Haha 4

ri702bill

Just might have to go to one of their get-togethers - looks to be a good source of paintable Kohler K series parts...!!! :ROTF:

Just gotta learn the model lingo... nah!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

Interesting article.  

I'm not much of a JD fan for the most part but I do have an appreciation for the early round fenders.

In fact I have a set here to be used after the green stuff is removed. Likely on Colossus but could be other possibilities too. 

I find it VERY interesting that the early 110 prototype in the article is.... Red ((??!!))...

Anyone know why?

• Like 3

Stepney

So the story goes and from what I can remember, they were painted in red with no graphics for field testing.. I suppose, should things go poorly, it could be covered up and not traced to JD. I saw an original in Florida years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sailman

I think the appeal to the John Deere's had a lot to do with how prolific the big tractors were. Growing up on tractors in Iowa I never heard of a wheel horse until I got into the "bug" here in GA a few years back. I had a shot at a couple 110's but went with the wheel horse because of this forum and the great advice folks readily give. Plus I always liked the farmall's better than the JD and wheel horse looks more like a Farmall (International Harvester)!

Hay @ebinmaine.....about your new trailer.... "Once he loaded too many into his trailer, and the weight of it caused the frame to collapse.".......:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Hay @ebinmaine.....about your new trailer.... "Once he loaded too many into his trailer, and the weight of it caused the frame to collapse.".......

I'm hoping to avoid that syndrome.  😃

• Like 2

squonk

You can substitute Wheel Horse for John Deere into that article and it becomes about most of us! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, squonk said:

You can substitute Wheel Horse for John Deere into that article and it becomes about most of us! 

Yes!!

I told Trina the same thing!! 

D_Mac

collecting tractors??? Who would do such a thing? Thats just crazy !!

• Haha 1

Wheel-N-It

I tried John Deere years ago. I found a very low serial number JD140.  Very, very original. It was well built, but not uncomplicated like Wheel Horse. I decided its best for me to stick with one brand, and that will always be our beloved Red Tractors.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Gotta admit tho a well written article... thank you T-mo...:handgestures-salute:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Gotta admit tho a well written article... thank you T-mo...:handgestures-salute:

Agreed.  

6 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

6 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

It was well built, but not uncomplicated like Wheel Horse

That's why we have the Herd here, too. 

Common sense practicality.  

• Heart 1

T-Mo

There is a video out there somewhere that explained the development of John Deere's first garden tractor.  For some reason, I lost the link.

They were painted red to hide the fact Deere was developing a GT from their competition.  Prototypes were painted to camouflage the fact that they were entering that field and to shield their technology/progress from spying eyes.

I had several brands of garden tractors, including Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc. and if one thinks one is better than the other, they're just being blinded by their own brand loyalty.  All have pros and cons and none is better than the other.  Same with agriculture and utility tractors.  Some brands have features better than others, while lacking in a feature or two themselves.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Well stated and absolutely agreed.