Jerry Ohmer

Shifter Magnet Assembly

Jerry Ohmer

How do you by-pass the neutral safety magnet part number (discontinued) 95-7683

Thank You

This is a clip on magnet on the shifter. 
It’s on a Toro Wheel Horse Classic GT

Model 73450 

I ran a jumper wire across both posts the magnet aligns with. Tractor still will not start. 
Jumping these should enable it to start in gear ?

Edited by Jerry Ohmer
More Data

rmaynard

Is it a neutral safety switch? What tractor is it on? That number refers to what is commonly called a NMIR switch, no mow in reverse. Another government agency, OSHA, putting their nose where it doesn't belong. Just find out whether is closes or opens to allow you to operate the way you want. Then either cut the wire or splice the wires together.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 3

Achto
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

That number refers to what is commonly called a NMIR switch, no mow in reverse. Another government agency, OSHA, putting their nose where it doesn't belong

The NMIR was put into effect after a few people backed over the short person that was following them around while mowing lawn. It is very important to protect people from their own negligence.

Another example - The kill handle on a push mower that has to be held up in order for the mower to run. Implemented after two people of "higher intelligence" were holding a push mower in the air to trim the top of their hedge. Well... mower got away from them, injuries happened, law suits followed, and Ta Da! a new safety feature was mandated. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

Jerry Ohmer

There is a separate key under the seat to engage the “Mow In Reverse”

gwest_ca

I don't know how the magnet is mounted. Years ago I added a backup lamp to an 8-speed for night time snow removal. Used a wired window or door alarm switch and magnet for a security system. Clamped the magnet to the shifter and mounted the switch so reverse activated a relay to power the light.

You may be able to use such a magnet if you can find one. Magnet is in a sealed plastic container so it does not rust and has 2 mounting holes.

• Like 2

Jerry Ohmer
On 6/26/2023 at 11:25 PM, Jerry Ohmer said:

There is a separate key under the seat to engage the “Mow In Reverse”

On 6/26/2023 at 2:45 PM, Jerry Ohmer said:

How do you by-pass the neutral safety magnet part number (discontinued) 95-7683

Thank You

This is a clip on magnet on the shifter. 
It’s on a Toro Wheel Horse Classic GT

Model 73450 

I ran a jumper wire across both posts the magnet aligns with. Tractor still will not start. 
Jumping these should enable it to start in gear ?

Problem Resolved. 
clip clip 😁